What is this...and why?

Pthorpe84

Staff member
So I was watching Artecs walk around video and I don’t completely understand the Center Axle Disconnect. Seems like a horrible move and the part is in an area that gets the crap beat out of it.

Is this supposed to act similar to lock out hubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artec

Supporting Vendor
Thanks Artec, but what exactly does it do?
It is a central axle disconnect , What it does is there is a electronic servo that slides a fork over connecting the 2 piece axle shaft on the passenger side . making it so the front driveshaft does not spin and outter on passenger side doesn't spin creating less drag. AKA thank Uncle Sam for requiring Fleet averages with Cafe standards and fuel economy .

Our new JL SHIELD is HEAVY DUTY 1/4" thick steel...twice the thickness of the OEM skid plate. The design also uses countersunk flat head bolts for improved smoothness on the bottom...meaning you'll have less edges to catch on rocks. To improve the smoothness, we've eliminated unnecessary edges and extended the leading edge to the front of the axle and included an angled flange to protect the axle and allow rocks to glide under

Pthorpe84

Staff member
It is a central axle disconnect , What it does is there is a electronic servo that slides a fork over connecting the 2 piece axle shaft on the passenger side . making it so the front driveshaft does not spin and outter on passenger side doesn't spin creating less drag. AKA thank Uncle Sam for requiring Fleet averages with Cafe standards and fuel economy .
Thanks Artec for the clarification. Yeah you have to love these damn regulations.

Seems like this would create a serious weak point in the axles shaft. Not to mention I would imagine this will cause havoc when someone finally tries to do a Junkyard build.

Artec

Supporting Vendor
Thanks Artec for the clarification. Yeah you have to love these damn regulations.

Seems like this would create a serious weak point in the axles shaft. Not to mention I would imagine this will cause havoc when someone finally tries to do a Junkyard build.

Im sure Yukon, RCV, and others will have a upgrade for it , Along with Reid for the Aluminum Knuckles. I am happy its not the horrible Vacuum system of the YJ era !

Brian

Jeep Fanatic

The weak point will be there no doubt, especially with larger tires. But even worse, in my area, that will get dunked in water full of sand and mud. Over time it will break from internal damage, with a guard or without. When you need 4x4, someday it will not happen. KISS is no longer. I have to ask, why not just do auto locking hubs like the F250/F350 Fords. Easy to repair when needed and are proven. They would do the same thing.

Artec

Supporting Vendor
The weak point will be there no doubt, especially with larger tires. But even worse, in my area, that will get dunked in water full of sand and mud. Over time it will break from internal damage, with a guard or without. When you need 4x4, someday it will not happen. KISS is no longer. I have to ask, why not just do auto locking hubs like the F250/F350 Fords. Easy to repair when needed and are proven. They would do the same thing.
The ram powerwagon has had it for a few years with no issues Mopar does have an upgrade from what I've heard last night

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
The ram powerwagon has had it for a few years with no issues Mopar does have an upgrade from what I've heard last night
But what about 5 to 10 years from now? Also, why would Mopar already have an upgrade for it? Failing on the Powerwagon already? Automatic with manual locks for hubs has been out forever... Just do that.

Artec

Supporting Vendor
But what about 5 to 10 years from now? Also, why would Mopar already have an upgrade for it? Failing on the Powerwagon already? Automatic with manual locks for hubs has been out forever... Just do that.
the eletronic cad has actually been decent on the rams powerwagons have been out since 2005, But yes lockouts would be better but cost more

Last edited:

Krawler

Jeep Newb
Unfortunately, I doubt we will ever see locking hubs again as most of today's society (Jeep's target market) is too lazy to get out and turn them.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Unfortunately, I doubt we will ever see locking hubs again as most of today's society (Jeep's target market) is too lazy to get out and turn them.
Ford still has them and you can manually lock them or let them automatically lock.. :) Jeep had to invent something else to take its place... AND there is more turning with the Jeep design than with normal hubs like Ford uses..

Todd Ockert

Seems like a silly design by Jeep.

Will someone come up with a complete elimination kit for it?
Do we really buy a Jeep for great gas mileage?

Todd

FC4X4

Jeep Owner
The fix will be fairly simple. Yukon and others will make a one-piece axle shaft for it and a blank-off plate for the actuator. YJs required the same patch.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
The fix will be fairly simple. Yukon and others will make a one-piece axle shaft for it and a blank-off plate for the actuator. YJs required the same patch.
That may be true, but I bet the dashboard will light up like a freaking Christmas tree! And if it’s like a JK, the damn brakes will start grabbing or go into complete limp mode.