Goodyear MTR/K v BFG KM2's

ratchettt

Jeep Owner
About to replace my MTR's due to tread wear. They are the first and only after market tire I have owned, and so limited hands-on experience with other tires. I have zero complaints with this tire off road and have had no problems with balancing others report; and seem to "get through" obstacles a bit better than my fellows. I meant to replace with MTR's based on my experience and comments of other MTR owners. But now research points to considering the KM2's. I'm pretty much settled on one of these two and would appreciate feedback from anyone with hands-on experience with both. I am on road much more than off and never trailer, yet am more interested in having the off road upperhand and willing to accept the compromise this involves.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
My only issue with BFG's is that many are out of round and on a Jeep that is lightweight, they are hard to balance.

We have these on a lifted Ford F150 and they rock! https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/trail-grappler-mud-terrain-light-truck-tire/

We have had these on a lifted F250 and they are the BEST riding large lug tire I have ever used. https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/mud-grappler-extreme-mud-terrain-light-truck-tire/

What about Gladiator X-Comps? http://gladiatortires.com/tires/light-truck/xcomp-mt/

ratchettt

Jeep Owner
Brian, I'm leaning to the Goodyear MTR over KO2. I know I have seen it on some of MC's test Jeeps, but do you lean to the Nitto's in your links over the MTR?

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
I do not work for MetalCloak and I would not run Goodyear MTR's on my rig because of balancing issues. If I want a good On-Road tire, it has to be round and balance well.

You chose two well-known brand names and neither one has a good reputation for a great on-road MT, or AT for that matter, that will balance well. Since a Jeep is a light vehicle and the tires you will be purchasing will be stiff, load range D or E, balance and out of round issues show more because there is not enough weight to hide them.

I sent you some links to tires we had good luck with, except the Gladiators, I have never run them, but would like to.

I had BFG KO2's on my JK for 2,000 miles until I got sick of the tire vibrations. All caused by two of the 5 tires being out of round and BFG not standing behind them as they were "within spec". I changed over to Yokahama's and enjoyed them, but they are hard tires and wear well, but do not provide great wet weather traction.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I’m going to tell you right now that I just swapped from MTR-k to Toyo M/T’s and it’s night and day. This was a great investment for my Jeep. If I were you I would look at the Toyo’s. My 37X13.50r17’s ran $318 per tire. I have zero issue with the BFG’s. But the Toyo’s are as quite and smooth riding as a street tire.

Mtr’s are absolutely junk on the road. And mine balanced horrible. But...they did great off road at 12psi or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Another point is that my Toyo’s ran great up to 70 with ZERO weights! I had them balanced Thursday’s and now I can drive 85+ with no vibration. Just can’t say enough about the tire.

Todd Ockert

I have the BFG KM2's.
I have not had any balancing issues with mine.
I have a set that they had changed their rubber compound on, and they have chunking coming off the lugs pretty bad.

I am waiting to see the new KM3 and see how those will run off-road.
Our Jeep sees a little on-road travel, but is usually on a trailer going to the trail.

Todd

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
I have the BFG KM2's.
I have not had any balancing issues with mine.
I have a set that they had changed their rubber compound on, and they have chunking coming off the lugs pretty bad.

I am waiting to see the new KM3 and see how those will run off-road.
Our Jeep sees a little on-road travel, but is usually on a trailer going to the trail.

Todd
I mean no disrespect in asking this question Todd, so please do not take it wrong. If you Jeep sees little on-road travel, how can you really comment about balancing issues?

Todd Ockert

I run it around town and down the freeway on weekends when we are not wheeling.
So, it is important to me that my tires are balanced all the time.

I balance them anytime I do think they have lost some weight or just wheeled the snot out of them and the ride has gotten different on the road.
I do like my Jeep to be able to run 75 on the freeway.

I do see your point about my comment though.
My Jeep probably does see more trail miles than road miles or about the same.

Brian, I have thick skin fro 26 years in the Navy.
None taken.

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I run it around town and down the freeway on weekends when we are not wheeling.
So, it is important to me that my tires are balanced all the time.

I balance them anytime I do think they have lost some weight or just wheeled the snot out of them and the ride has gotten different on the road.
I do like my Jeep to be able to run 75 on the freeway.

I do see your point about my comment though.
My Jeep probably does see more trail miles than road miles or about the same.

Brian, I have thick skin fro 26 years in the Navy.
None taken.

Todd
Being in Texas now you better! Especially in oil towns lol.

Jonbob11

Jeep Newb
I too am liking KM3. No specific specs or testimony but I’ve heard good things both on and off road from the Jeep community.

Todd Ockert

The BFG KM3 is out now and you will be hard pressed to find a KM2.
I want to put the KM3 on my Jeep soon to test it out on the roads of West Texas.
Some of our roads are as rough as any trail out there. The big trucks tear them up bad.

I have heard good things about the KM3 so far.

Todd

El Sanchimoto

Jeep Owner
I have had zero issues with my factory BFG KM's in the almost 50k miles I have had them. Which includes on and off-road handling in pretty much every kind of weather and terrain combination, and a cross country drive. During this time I have noticed no need for them to be rebalanced.

I will be replacing them in the near future with BFG KM3's.