14 Bolt Install

timatoe

Jeep Fanatic
In a previous thread there was a request to document the 14 bolt install. I don't tend to remember to take a bunch of pics while working but here are a few.

I had already done a wheelbase stretch front and rear and had put in a D60 rear, so the 14 bolt was a pretty simple swap. I didn't get any pics of the 14 bolt rebuild itself, just a completed pic before it went in.

Old D60 getting ready to come out...

And the 14 ready to go in. I put a pinion guard on it too, but it wasn't there in this pic. I don't know why when I got calipers for the disk conversion one was coated with that nice golden anti rust coat and the other was plain cast, but whatever.

Here's a shot of the 1310 to 1350 conversion joint for the driveshaft. I didn't think about taking the pic until it was installed in the shaft and then I wasn't going to take it out for a pic. You can see the 1350 side is about the same size as the yoke portion of the 1310 side, it's substantially larger.

When I did the stretch originally the tailpipe wouldn't work anymore without the axle contacting it at full stuff since the upward hoop was now in front of the axle. Anyhow, I had lopped that off and just put a turndown at the back of the muffler. (You can sorta see that in the first two pics) I figured since I was under there I'd build a new tailpipe. I went to a local exhaust shop and explained what I had going and he said it would be quick and easy, I asked for a ballpark number and he says "Oh, about a hundred something". Seriously? I went to Napa and grabbed 2 ID/OD slip 45's and an ID/OD slip extension, reused the turndown I already had and welded it up. Total cost about $24. I like it and I was able to tuck it way higher than the stock pipe was (that I've actually ripped completely off before).

Last edited:

timatoe

Jeep Fanatic
How much did you shave off the bottom?
I used the Barnes shave cover and just used it as a guide, because it was cheap and didn't want to chance screwing it up lopping off the bottom of the pumpkin and grinding gears etc. Anyhow it's the whole lower lip, probably inch and half or so.

DirtKar

Jeep Newb
I used the Barnes shave cover and just used it as a guide, because it was cheap and didn't want to chance screwing it up lopping off the bottom of the pumpkin and grinding gears etc. Anyhow it's the whole lower lip, probably inch and half or so.
Any chance of you putting your pics back since PB did the bad thing to them?

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
I need to get everything reloaded to flickr or the like and get back in here with them.
Post them here if you can, or if you do go with flicr, choose the retrieve image button when using the url load on our site. Photobucket just screwed people.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Post them here if you can, or if you do go with flicr, choose the retrieve image button when using the url load on our site. Photobucket just screwed people.
What in the heck did photobucket do? Seems like everything is screwed here lately.....

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
What in the heck did photobucket do? Seems like everything is screwed here lately.....
It's everywhere. I am unsure of everything, but Photobucket is trying to monitize thier system by making people pay to see photos on thier site.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
It's everywhere. I am unsure of everything, but Photobucket is trying to monitize thier system by making people pay to see photos on thier site.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Well....that will be the downfall of them...I know everyone wants to make a buck...but that isn't going to work for the folks using the free service....way too many other options out there now. All well....timatoe....lets get them pics up buddy!