Ask The Expert- JKU brakes

MickeyB

Jeep Owner
I need rear brakes for my 2014 JKU on 35's. my questions:

1. Would you recommend just getting OEM brake pads or something different? I was looking at HAWK ceramic pads but not sure if they will give me more stopping power vs OEM. I'm not interested in the big brake upgrade yet.

2. Would you recommend doing all 4 or just address the rears? Fronts are still good but i wasn't sure if it's better to do they all.

3. Just get the rotors resurfaced or opt for slotted/ drilled rotors?

Please advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timatoe

Jeep Fanatic
1) I have found softer pads to work better than ceramics. Of course they have to be replaced more often but they are cheap. I've heard (no personal experience) great things about the Black Magic pads.

2) Personally I'd just do the rears if the fronts aren't close, if they're still good but close to needing replacement, I'd do all four.

3) I don't think slotted and drilled rotors are much of an upgrade for a Jeep (depending on use of course).

4) I'm not an "expert" so these are just my opinions.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
If you have the budget, do the big break kit thing. I have yet to cross this bridge on mine. Curious what others say. Keep us posted on your decision

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
I need rear brakes for my 2014 JKU on 35's. my questions:

1. Would you recommend just getting OEM brake pads or something different? I was looking at HAWK ceramic pads but not sure if they will give me more stopping power vs OEM. I'm not interested in the big brake upgrade yet.

2. Would you recommend doing all 4 or just address the rears? Fronts are still good but i wasn't sure if it's better to do they all.

3. Just get the rotors resurfaced or opt for slotted/ drilled rotors?

Please advise.

I have had good luck with EBC Redstuff pads and their rotors. They are still quiet when cold but also do not get much fade when pushing them. I would recommend running the same pads front a rear to keep the balance the same. I know EBC has a chart for what combos are recommended together.

We are running the Dynatrac big brakes on teh LS powdered JK and it make a huge difference.

I am not a fan of drilled rotors on the street. Most are not designed to be drilled and will heat crack out of the holes.

JK_BUB

Jeep Owner
I have the Dynatrac ProGrips on mine and they made a huge improvement. They probably aren't needed, however, unless you are running 37"+ tires.

MickeyB

Jeep Owner
If you have the budget, do the big break kit thing. I have yet to cross this bridge on mine. Curious what others say. Keep us posted on your decision

I ended up replacing front and rear OEM brakes with Hawk brake pads. I noticed a big difference just by replacing the pads only. Might do the big brake upgrade down the line but current setup seems great to stop my 35"'s.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Thanks Mickey. My budget doesn't have the funds for the bb kit at this time. I will check out the hawks. I'm going to have to do something soon.

MickeyB

Jeep Owner
Thanks Mickey. My budget doesn't have the funds for the bb kit at this time. I will check out the hawks. I'm going to have to do something soon.

I got it from jeepswag.com. I found the best price there. They are located in Santa Ana, CA and I picked it up since I'm local. Customer service is awesome. They have a bunch of cool stuff there as well.