Wiring

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Anyone have experience wiring your reverse lights to led pods and have the ability to manually turn them on and off with door? Not sure if that would cause issues or not. I am assuming you would just splice all the wires together. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Pretty easy to wire in LED lights to your rear lights and switch them, but what do you mean manual turn off with door. You mean a switch?

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Dang auto correct. I meant with sPod.

I have them wired to the reverse light now. But want to be able to manually turn them on as well.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Dang auto correct. I meant with sPod.

I have them wired to the reverse light now. But want to be able to manually turn them on as well.

So, wire them up like normal to the switch and place a diode inline in the wiring. Then place another diode in the wiring coming from the power path give to them by the reverse lights.

The two diode will only let energy flow in once direction so you will not back feed the reverse lights, or a reverse sensor.

It is really simple.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Thanks buddy. Electricity is not my expertise.

Mine either, but we do this a lot on side by sides with single switches for night and low beams. We use them to turn on one set of lights on the low setting and them flip on more on the high setting. While some of our builds do not look as cool as others with 15 switches, the people who use our stuff after shows appreciate the simplicity and usability a bit more.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

timatoe

Jeep Fanatic
Make sure you test it before soldering up the diode because they only work one way like mentioned.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Anyone post up a link or a picture of exactly what I need. Will be great help for me and others.

JK_BUB

Jeep Owner
I didn't use any diodes and my reverse LED lights work as you described. The only difference is that when I turn on the switch, even when it's not in reverse, the LEDs and the backup lights in the tail lights come on. No big deal to me. I just replaced the backup lights with LEDs to reduce the amp draw on the circuit.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
I didn't use any diodes and my reverse LED lights work as you described. The only difference is that when I turn on the switch, even when it's not in reverse, the LEDs and the backup lights in the tail lights come on. No big deal to me. I just replaced the backup lights with LEDs to reduce the amp draw on the circuit.

I would assume your backup lights in your brake lights also turn on?

You could probably go that way, my fear was that some signal would be sent to the computer saying the reverse lights are on, so the Jeep is in reverse, then it gets confused and pukes a check engine light.

JK_BUB

Jeep Owner
I would assume your backup lights in your brake lights also turn on?

You could probably go that way, my fear was that some signal would be sent to the computer saying the reverse lights are on, so the Jeep is in reverse, then it gets confused and pukes a check engine light.
Yes, that is correct, but I have never had a check engine light.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
How about that link as to the diode one needs to hunt down.

timatoe

Jeep Fanatic
Tip, the line on the diode goes downstream, think of it as a gate letting the electricity run out to where you want it to go. That second link to the Hopkins stuff made me think of the diodes for running tow lighting. Those were cheap and easy to install, I got a 4 pack for like 15 bucks on Amazon. Let me find a link.

They were like these but cheaper, same brand that Camping World sells for half the price.... https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-794-Hy-Power-Diode-Pack/dp/B003VARG8K/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C260KW6VQKZBNRDAP95F

I'll look later when I'm not at work and see if I can find the right link.