New PSC steering box

Kjeeper10

Jeep Fanatic
A little difficult doing it myself (heavy)
Plus its a very tight space to work in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kjeeper10

Jeep Fanatic
Dont know yet Brian. Still a few things i have to do. Should be done by the end of the week .

Kjeeper10

Jeep Fanatic
All done .. wow... first impressions. Wheel so much easier to turn. Feels a lot more solid too.

Kjeeper10

Jeep Fanatic
Stopped or at slow speeds. Normal driving the steering is nice and tight.

Kjeeper10

Jeep Fanatic
Steering...locked, aired down, and on the rocks?

Patience the Moab is not in my backyard LOL
Weather looks promising next couple weeks. I will get her out and run some basic tests.

Kjeeper10

Jeep Fanatic
Highway is great, side roads great, on road the box is great. Hopefully soon i will be able to test it off road.

Kjeeper10

Jeep Fanatic
** this is not my review, i pulled off WF RichL35's review before and after running the box off road**

Some have asked for some real world results with the box. I have some now to report.

The box is everything I had hoped it would be. To start with the install, one word.... Simple! It is heavy so I would recommend a friend to help or do what I did and just sling the box from above with either an engine hoist or chainfall. A couple quick height adjustments and it fell into place. Everything mounted up easily (don't forget to install the new included orings on your hoses) and you will need an 1 5/8 socket to torque the pitman arm nut. It purged the air out in a couple minutes and no leaks. Couldn't have been easier.

Now to drive it. It feels tight on road with less steering input required. Almost like finding an extra degree of caster. It has a noticeable increase in turning torque even driving slowly around the parking lot. My Jeep drove well before so based on the on road handling aspect of the PSC box it's nice but not enough of a difference that I would recommend installing one at that price for strictly the on road steering gains. Off road is a different story. Lower the 37 x 13.5 tires to 12lbs and lock up the front diff. Almost impossible to turn at a stop with the stock gearbox. I wanted a fresh measuring stick so I did this in a packed dirt parking lot out in front of my shop right before bringing the Jeep in to swap the box. After? Could totally turn the steering wheel with just a little bit of effort. You could hear the power steering pump load up a little but the wheel turns just fine. For how often I am doing that on the trails up here in the northeast it is completely acceptable. If I wheeled rock gardens all day I would recommend the hydro assist because at the end of a long day crawling in the rocks locked up your arms will be tired with the PSC HD Box. Doable but tired.

So the end result for me was great! I get a substantially stronger box with enough turning power for my aired down 37s that was really just an easy bolt in. On road steering is tight and improved over stock and I expect true offroad performance to be vastly improved. I will be taking a trip out to MaBell next weekend and look forward to the steering improvements that this box offers.

MaBell trip today! My review in post 89 stands. This box worked AWESOME all locked up in the rocks. The box had plenty of turning power even with my 37 x 13.5 Mud Grapplers at 10 psi. This is now one of my favorite mods. To warn you, my list of favorite mods is pretty long

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Great info. The fact it turns the Graps with no issues on the rock is impressive. It's a great up grade, but I still think the $600 redneck ram will be my choice.

cva4x4

Jeep Newb
Great info. The fact it turns the Graps with no issues on the rock is impressive. It's a great up grade, but I still think the $600 redneck ram will be my choice.

its a great choice. turns my 40s with ease. its amazing to be on an obstacle and spotter yells turn passenger or turn driver and you can without an issue. just make sure you get the install right, tight, and the lines away from the motor.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
its a great choice. turns my 40s with ease. its amazing to be on an obstacle and spotter yells turn passenger or turn driver and you can without an issue. just make sure you get the install right, tight, and the lines away from the motor.
Did you tap your box on your own or send it off to be done?

cva4x4

Jeep Newb
How long was the turn around with them?

uh, the time to get your ported box, ram, and cables just depends on what they have in stock and ready. in my case when i ordered mine they were out of remanufactured/tapped ones. all they had was 1 new/tapped one left and i didn't want that (cost more). i think i waited about 7 days after order before they shipped everything. it was about half a day install/swap and then i shipped my old box back. took about 1 business day after they received it for the credit to post.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
uh, the time to get your ported box, ram, and cables just depends on what they have in stock and ready. in my case when i ordered mine they were out of remanufactured/tapped ones. all they had was 1 new/tapped one left and i didn't want that (cost more). i think i waited about 7 days after order before they shipped everything. it was about half a day install/swap and then i shipped my old box back. took about 1 business day after they received it for the credit to post.
That’s not bad at all....actually pretty quick turn around. Thank you for the info.