Ask The Expert- Steering shake- possible death wobble?

MickeyB

Jeep Owner
I was driving down a canyon road at about 40mph. As I took corners and applied the brakes, my steering would shake pretty hard and went away as soon as I let off the brakes and straightened up. Happened at every turn that day. On normal street driving, I have not been able to duplicate the issue. I have a brand new draglink setup but my tie rod ends have a slight play in them. I have a 2014 JKU on 35's and a new 3.5" lift. Where should I start? I'm sure that shake will come back again at some point and I want the issue fixed. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kjeeper10

Jeep Fanatic
Edit: just reread your post. Sounds like a brake issue, warped rotor?
Im going to leave this Below in case.

Always the track bar dealing with DW. Make sure its torqued to 125 ft lbs. if not first remove the bolts and ensure the holes did not elongate. Fix if necessary, ensure bushings are still good and torque to 125. Everything else can contribute to DW like tie rod ends, DL ends, tire balance, etc. of coarse fix anything that is loose or worn as well. The truth is if the track bar is tight and bushings are good DW should not happen.

2 door Rubicon, 3.5" RockKrawler x-factor, 37x12.5x17 MTR's, Steer Smarts Yeti steering, Savvy aluminum half doors.

Todd Ockert

Since it only happened off-road, and in a corner while braking, my thoughts are it was the trail itself.
Dirt roads/trails are not smooth like a paved road.

As mentioned above, many things can cause death wobble.
Check everything to ensure it is tight, and not worn out.

Todd

MickeyB

Jeep Owner
I agree with Todd, but did you check your toe? Are you toe in an 1/8" or so?
I'm getting new gearbox and tie rod ends in about a week. Will also have it aligned at that point. I forgot to mention that it also happened when I hit a pot hole. As soon as I hit the pot hole, the steering shook violently for about 3 seconds then corrected itself.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
If your steering system is loose, it could have been the tire hitting a pothole, then trying to recover. Checking toe is pretty easy, but it sounds like you are unsure if it is aligned or not.

Todd Ockert

When the toe-in on my Jeep was way off, the death wobble was extreme.

Very easy to check with a tape measure.
If you do adjust it yourself, take it for a drive in between adjustments.

Todd

blackjeepjk

Jeep Newb
While your getting the tie rod ends replaced, check the track bar bolt holes on the front axle. Mine have worn to be oblong over the years and have created some steering play and bump noises.

Waiting for some Artec parts to fix the issue.

Steveyos

Jeep Newb
My TJ had death wobble at about 50 mph, balanced the tires and it went away, easy cheap fix. Guess lots of things can cause it.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
My TJ had death wobble at about 50 mph, balanced the tires and it went away, easy cheap fix. Guess lots of things can cause it.
You are my exactly correct. My first experience was due to tires out of balance. Then I bent my tie rod, and have constantly dealt with it since. Have to adjust my foe after every wheeling event. Sucks.