modernjeeper
MetalCloak 1
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Jeep Owner
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Driveshaft upgrade

    I have a 2014 JKU with a. 3.5" AEV lift. We have to add exhaust spacers to avoid the driveshaft from running on the exhaust pipe. That work out great until I added skid plates. Because of the spacer, the exhaust pipe hangs a little lower and touches the skids just enough to cause a loud rattle. I had to add 3 thick washers to create a gap but have lost about an inch of ground clearance. Recently, on a trail, I hit a rock on the skid causing the rattle to come back. I can add yet another washer .... but I have already created a large enough lip on the skid and don't want to keep doing that. I was told the only solution is to get an aftermarket driveshaft so we can eliminate the exhaust spacer, which will allow us to put the skid up where it belongs. My questions:

    1. Is that the only viable solution?
    2. If so, should I go 1310 or 1350? Th forums say that the 1310 will allow a much better flex vs the 1350.

    Please advise.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Jeep Newb
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Brooks, Alberta
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 3.5 Gamechager lift and use a Tom Woods 1310 driveshaft and no exhaust extensions with full Rock Hard skid plates and have good clearance even after some hits.

  3. #3
    Moderator Pthorpe84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyB View Post
    I have a 2014 JKU with a. 3.5" AEV lift. We have to add exhaust spacers to avoid the driveshaft from running on the exhaust pipe. That work out great until I added skid plates. Because of the spacer, the exhaust pipe hangs a little lower and touches the skids just enough to cause a loud rattle. I had to add 3 thick washers to create a gap but have lost about an inch of ground clearance. Recently, on a trail, I hit a rock on the skid causing the rattle to come back. I can add yet another washer .... but I have already created a large enough lip on the skid and don't want to keep doing that. I was told the only solution is to get an aftermarket driveshaft so we can eliminate the exhaust spacer, which will allow us to put the skid up where it belongs. My questions:

    1. Is that the only viable solution?
    2. If so, should I go 1310 or 1350? Th forums say that the 1310 will allow a much better flex vs the 1350.

    Please advise.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Itís my understanding that the 1350ís will allow for a higher angle. But the size of the 1350 is larger in diameter, which could cause contact. I am battling the same problem with my 1310. I refuse to use the spacers. I will be getting an AFE Y-Pipe delete to fix the issue. This moves the exhaust crossover behind the cross member. If you wheel hard I suggest a 1350. Even so a 1310 will suffice.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2015 JKU Hard Rock, 3.5" Game Changer-Rock Sport, 37" Toyo M/T, Overline Fenders, M/C Full Stinger Bumper, GenRight Fusion Rear Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, M/C Rock Sliders, Warn Power Plant HD, Viair Constant Duty with Tank, 17" ATX Slabs, Evo Skid Plates, Cheap Chinese Lights, Factor 55 Flat Link, ApolloIntec Switch Pod, 48" Hi-Lift, Dynomax Exhaust

    https://www.instagram.com/4lotested/

  4. #4
    Moderator Pthorpe84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1953 View Post
    I have a 3.5 Gamechager lift and use a Tom Woods 1310 driveshaft and no exhaust extensions with full Rock Hard skid plates and have good clearance even after some hits.
    I have the same lift and when both sides go to full droop, the drive shaft just touches the exhaust.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2015 JKU Hard Rock, 3.5" Game Changer-Rock Sport, 37" Toyo M/T, Overline Fenders, M/C Full Stinger Bumper, GenRight Fusion Rear Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, M/C Rock Sliders, Warn Power Plant HD, Viair Constant Duty with Tank, 17" ATX Slabs, Evo Skid Plates, Cheap Chinese Lights, Factor 55 Flat Link, ApolloIntec Switch Pod, 48" Hi-Lift, Dynomax Exhaust

    https://www.instagram.com/4lotested/

  5. #5
    Jeep Owner
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    A front 1310 driveshaft will handle 90% of JK rigs. I believe even ultimate 60s/spicers keep 1310 up front.

  6. #6
    Jeep Owner Praiseman62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    O’Donnell, TX
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also have the 3.5 Gamechanger and Tom Woods shafts but mine are 1350. I tried it without the spacers but at full droop on the driver side it rubbed pretty good so I put the MC spacers in. That totally fixed the rubbing issues.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Moderator Pthorpe84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Praiseman62 View Post
    I also have the 3.5 Gamechanger and Tom Woods shafts but mine are 1350. I tried it without the spacers but at full droop on the driver side it rubbed pretty good so I put the MC spacers in. That totally fixed the rubbing issues.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you have any contact with the skid plates with the addition of the spacers?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 JKU Hard Rock, 3.5" Game Changer-Rock Sport, 37" Toyo M/T, Overline Fenders, M/C Full Stinger Bumper, GenRight Fusion Rear Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, M/C Rock Sliders, Warn Power Plant HD, Viair Constant Duty with Tank, 17" ATX Slabs, Evo Skid Plates, Cheap Chinese Lights, Factor 55 Flat Link, ApolloIntec Switch Pod, 48" Hi-Lift, Dynomax Exhaust

    https://www.instagram.com/4lotested/

  8. #8
    Jeep Owner Praiseman62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    O’Donnell, TX
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plenty of clearance on skid plates.


    2014 JKU Sahara, Carbon/Currie Rock Jock 44 front 60 rear with 5.13 gears and ARB Lockers, Rubicon 4-1 Transfer Case, ARB Twin Compressor, Viair 2.5 gallon air tank, MC 3.5 Gamechanger, 6 pac shocks, MC Front Bumper with Bull Bar, Smittybilt X20 10000 lbs winch, MC Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, MC Overline Fenders, MC Rock Rail, MC Tie Rod & Draglink, MC Skid Under Armor, Toyo 37x13.50 R18 Tires, DV8 Heat Hood, Line X Coated in Copperhead Pearl & Black, KC 8Ē HID Lights on top, KC Gravity LED Lights on Bull bar, Rigid diffused flood lights on 4 corners, Backup Camera, KC Rock Lights, Apollo Intech switchpod. Flowmaster Exaust, K&N Air Intake.

  9. Thanks Pthorpe84 thanked for this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •