MetalCloak Drive Shafts

Pthorpe84

Staff member
So my question is would the 1310 drive shaft that Metal Cloak offers be sufficient for use for extreme crawling? Not one that is heavy on the throttle, but will be running the hard trails. I currently am on 37's. Also if I went to Tons (and 40's...), could the yoke be used on them or would I have to get new drive shafts made?

Attachments

timatoe

Jeep Fanatic
I've ran the 1310's on 33's, 35's and now on 37's. I've broken axle joints and twisted an axle shaft but haven't ever broke a drive shaft joint (now I've probably jinxed myself) and I typically wheel at the Rubicon and have been all over Moab.

If you go to tons you're going to go to bigger joints because the yokes won't take the 1310 so you'll have to run a conversion joint or get a new shaft. I'm gonna try and get my 14 bolt in the rear this week and I'm gonna use a conversion joint for now.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Let me know how that goes. We don't have near the grip on the east coast as you guys do. With that said I think it will work fine. I hope. Do you mind posting up on the swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Those are supposed to be made in the USA so I assume spicer u-joints?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

timatoe

Jeep Fanatic
I'll try and take pics and what not. I'm usually in the garage by myself and forget that type of stuff, I've already got the 14b essentially ready to go in and not a single pic taken. :dunno:

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
Those are supposed to be made in the USA so I assume spicer u-joints?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Neapco US made parts are what we have used in the drivelines. They have been working great.

So my question is would the 1310 drive shaft that Metal Cloak offers be sufficient for use for extreme crawling? Not one that is heavy on the throttle, but will be running the hard trails. I currently am on 37's. Also if I went to Tons (and 40's...), could the yoke be used on them or would I have to get new drive shafts made?
1310 is sufficient for the JK platform in most cases and does not have the clearance issues that a 1350 has. The 1350 rear u-joint on the axle will normally make contact with the fuel tank when the suspension in compressed. If you are running a high HP motor and deep gears with a heavy right foot........ Yeah 1350 would be a good idea, but with the stock motor and T-case you will be hard pressed to twist a 1310 u-joint.

JK_BUB

Jeep Owner
I have been running the 1310s (front and rear) on 37s for quite some time now without any issue. They've been through John Bull, Moab, Rubicon, etc and haven't failed me yet. I am usually more concerned with damage due to dragging them more than breaking them.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Anyone know the adaptor that can be used to link a 1310 driveshaft to a D60 and Sterling 10.5? Really wanting to build a set of junkyards but I don't want to get the MC 1310's then have to buy 1350's a year later because of axle swap. Advice

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Anyone know the adaptor that can be used to link a 1310 driveshaft to a D60 and Sterling 10.5? Really wanting to build a set of junkyards but I don't want to get the MC 1310's then have to buy 1350's a year later because of axle swap. Advice

New thread in ask the expert might help ya.

Kjeeper10

Jeep Fanatic
Are these balanced at higher speeds ?

2 door Rubicon, 3.5" RockKrawler x-factor, 37x12.5x17 MTR's, Steer Smarts Yeti steering, Savvy aluminum half doors.

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic

They do make conversion u-joints that are 1310/1350 allowing you to retain the 1310 driveline and 1350 yoke on the axle. Length still may be an issue with swapping to those axles.

Are these balanced at higher speeds ?
Yes, they are high speed balanced.