Auto or manual transmission and why. ---- Go

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
OK, Lets try something different. I am going to ask all of you a question.

What do you prefer and why?

I have run both and for me it depends on the rig. For the lower HP rigs a manual and proper gearing make life easy. For the higher Hp rigs an auto with a slight stall to stop it from pushing through the brakes is great.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Jeep wise - If the torque of the motor is made at a low rpm, I like a manual. If it is a high rpm torque motor, I like an auto....

With that said, if it is a sports car, I like a manual.

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
Jeep wise - If the torque of the motor is made at a low rpm, I like a manual. If it is a high rpm torque motor, I like an auto....

With that said, if it is a sports car, I like a manual.
LOL, Lets keep it 4wd based. ( I agree about sports cars. :encouragement: )

lindel

Jeep Owner
I've driven both, and it's really a matter of what you've learned on, and what you're used to. A manual, with properly geared axles, and a decent low range will do just about anything you want. It only gets tricky in spots that require "3 appendage" coordination. A hand-throttle helps with that, immensely.

An automatic makes things much easier, and is easier for people to learn 4 wheel techniques, but I think if you learn with a manual, you're at a higher skill level than someone with an auto.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I had an auto JKU and I did not like the fact that I didn't have true control of what gear I was in while in 4-low. So I traded for a manual. I honestly find it easier to wheel in. Half the time I don't even notice I am using the clutch. Also with a manual I can feel how the engine is acting with my hand on the shifter. Feel more connected to my vehicle. Again that's me.

Also....it's one less thing a freaking computer controls! Skynet is coming lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
It only gets tricky in spots that require "3 appendage" coordination. A hand-throttle helps with that, immensely.
At least with my '15 JKU, when you let off the brake with your foot the calipers hang on for a second or two while you get your foot on the gas. This helps with not killing the engine and keeping the rig exactly where you want it when giving it gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk