Polycarbonate Windshield for Jeep?

Danco3636

Jeep Owner
I would like to know if anybody has any Jeep experience with the polycarbonate windshields

I see that Optic Armor sells a Wrangler JK polyshield which is 1/2 the weight (30 lbs) of the glass stock one and over 250% stronger than glass. They claim and I suspect correctly that these windshields will not crack or spider like glass.

Any coments about real world experiences with these poly windshields would be appreciated.

http://www.opticarmorwindows.com/jeep-replacement-windows.asp

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
I have used polycarbonate windshields in race cars before. They tend to scratch really easily and always seem to be wavey to look though. I would not recommend it for something that has windshield wipers.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I saw this on another forum. I would steer clear as well. They will scratch. Think of it like a high end pair of sun glasses with scratch resistant lenses. After a coulple months they all get scratches. That is why the Costa glass lenses perform so much better over time. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danco3636

Jeep Owner
I saw this on another forum. I would steer clear as well. They will scratch. Think of it like a high end pair of sun glasses with scratch resistant lenses. After a coulple months they all get scratches. That is why the Costa glass lenses perform so much better over time. Hope this helps.

I talked to the company about the windshield.
They said that it is break and shatter resistant.
But like many have said it will scratch with the windshield wipers if any dirt or sand gets in there. Not right away but after a while it will wear through the coating.
They said it's mainly for hard core riders that want something that won't break.
Thinking not a good fit for something on the road and off-road.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
This could still be a good item to have even for the daily driver. But I would put a tear off on there. Be like a screen protector for the phone.

Jeep-Geek

Jeep Newb
I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but I though someone might come along and I wanted to share my experience.

I had a 2007 JKU, and I went through a windshield every 4-6 months, and was always driving around with cracks. Montana has lots of dirt/gravel roads and those small stones seem to break Jeep glass every chance they get.

I bought my 2013 JKU and after just 2 months the windshield was cracked. (Seems like it's always some guy going the other way in a F-250 kicking up rocks)...

I broke down and bought a poly one from Roadless Gear out of Missoula (they may not sell them anymore). It's supposed to have some kind of scratch resistant layer on the outside. I've been running it for three years now. Wipers seem to have no affect on it. no scratches. It's taken numerous hits that surely would have broken a glass unit. The only downsides are a bit of flex, it sounds funny when it rains, and those big stone hits seem to leave a tiny crater in the poly that makes a noise as the wipers go over.

Also, it's worth noting that it cannot be installed like glass. The butyl rubber sealant used on glass would eat the poly, so RTV must be used instead. The up side is that you can drill right through it to use mounting screws or to affix things to the windshield (rearview mirror, lights?, go-pro...)

Anyway. I've had good luck so far with the poly and would have no problems recommending it to others, just FYI.

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but I though someone might come along and I wanted to share my experience.

I had a 2007 JKU, and I went through a windshield every 4-6 months, and was always driving around with cracks. Montana has lots of dirt/gravel roads and those small stones seem to break Jeep glass every chance they get.

I bought my 2013 JKU and after just 2 months the windshield was cracked. (Seems like it's always some guy going the other way in a F-250 kicking up rocks)...

I broke down and bought a poly one from Roadless Gear out of Missoula (they may not sell them anymore). It's supposed to have some kind of scratch resistant layer on the outside. I've been running it for three years now. Wipers seem to have no affect on it. no scratches. It's taken numerous hits that surely would have broken a glass unit. The only downsides are a bit of flex, it sounds funny when it rains, and those big stone hits seem to leave a tiny crater in the poly that makes a noise as the wipers go over.

Also, it's worth noting that it cannot be installed like glass. The butyl rubber sealant used on glass would eat the poly, so RTV must be used instead. The up side is that you can drill right through it to use mounting screws or to affix things to the windshield (rearview mirror, lights?, go-pro...)

Anyway. I've had good luck so far with the poly and would have no problems recommending it to others, just FYI.
Good to get some real world feedback.

Is this the one you have? http://jeep.roadlessgear.com/roadless-gear-polyshield-3-2
I could not find a way to say what model jeep it is for.