Lets talk flooring

Griffin

Jeep Owner
Doing a small remodel in the basement. Moving/replacing the bar area to a new spot and setting up a new area for the TV and couch. Because of this, we have to replace the carpet in those two areas of the basement with something else and I'd like to go hard flooring.

That said, looking for a hard flooring for the basement (concrete slab, below grade, no water issues, slab in good shape) that is cost effective, looks good, and fairly durable. We don't plan on staying in this house forever so I'm not going to spend more than I have to.

Any advice?

CowMoo

Jeep Owner
Well, flooring that will take moisture is not cheap. IMHO, if you have concrete under the floor, just tile over it. Tile is pretty easy to work with.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Griffen I have been out of pocket the past week and driving back from Atlanta now. I am an industrial sales rep with Sherwin williams and specialize in floor coatings. Let me get home where i can read this better and I will get you in the right direction. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Ok I have got to finally read what your situation is. The biggest thing you must do is prep. And no, do NOT use muriatic acid. Never a good idea. First thing I want you to do is pour a little water on the floor and tell me if it beads up or soaks into the concrete in about 30 seconds. A few drops is all it takes. If it beads up you must grind the concrete hands down. If it soaks in, I am ok with the use of H&C Etching Solution. I prefer a grind hands down though. Also make sure all oils are removed as well. Once all prep is done apply two coats of Sherwin-Williams 8100 epoxy. This is a breathable coating that will allow the coating to stick in case a moisture issue is there. Make sure you reduce the first coat 1 pint of water per gallon. I can send you more info if you want, just pm me your email.

As a word of caution I would stay away from the garage kits(no matter the manufacturer) as they are a problem waiting to happen. You can broadcast flake into any epoxy if you feel the need.

There are a lot of other great options out there like the metallic floors. They gorgeous but require a bit of skill and more prep to the slab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk