Ask The Expert- Metal cloak control arms vs curry

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
I want more articulation from my JKU but like my current soft ride quality. Hoping to get the best of both worlds.
That is specifically what the MetalCloak arms were designed to do. The rubber allows the stock level of isolation while having full articulation.

To try to get this a lot of other arms out there will do a rubber bushing on one end and a flex joint on the other. The trade off is half the flex with half the ride.

NorCalScott

Jeep Newb
That is specifically what the MetalCloak arms were designed to do. The rubber allows the stock level of isolation while having full articulation.

To try to get this a lot of other arms out there will do a rubber bushing on one end and a flex joint on the other. The trade off is half the flex with half the ride.
... also rubber bushing on one end all the vibration dampening is in one bushing (clevite/urethane/etc) with minimal flex wears much quicker vs Metalcloak Duroflex bushings on BOTH ends that share the load and are designed for maximum articulation.

MickeyB

Jeep Owner
My goal is to get my jeep more "street friendly" and more off road worthy. I have 3 inch single rate coils (off road evolution's plush coils) with Bilstein 5100's and a 3/4" spacer. EVO front lower control arm and rest are stock arms. I have 2 options that I am looking at:

1. Change to the AEV 3.5" lift kit and call it a day

2. AEV lift with MC control arms

At the end of the day, I don't want squeaky control arms and want to make sure that these arms are not noisy on and off road. I have heard a lot of noisy control arms that constantly have to be serviced. Do either, option 1 or 2 make sense in your expert eyes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
My goal is to get my jeep more "street friendly" and more off road worthy. I have 3 inch single rate coils (off road evolution's plush coils) with Bilstein 5100's and a 3/4" spacer. EVO front lower control arm and rest are stock arms. I have 2 options that I am looking at:

1. Change to the AEV 3.5" lift kit and call it a day

2. AEV lift with MC control arms

At the end of the day, I don't want squeaky control arms and want to make sure that these arms are not noisy on and off road. I have heard a lot of noisy control arms that constantly have to be serviced. Do either, option 1 or 2 make sense in your expert eyes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are several things to think about when picking suspension. A lot of companies are systems based and spend a lot of time engineering a setup that will work well. MetalCloak and AEV are companies that have spent time doing this.
It would be worth talking to both companies about the type of wheeling you plan on doing to make sure you are not going to come up with any issues. I know that MetalCloak offers several options to accommodate multiple styles of off road use.

E

eelectr

Metal cloak control arms vs

I am putting a tubular k member in a 95 GT want to tuck the front wheel in. Got a set of fox body control arms do i need a steeda ball joint or will a stock 1994-95 ball joint work?

TinyJeepTJ

Jeep Newb
For those who've installed Metalcloak control arms, anything I should know when installing them for a 4" lift? Looking at installing all 8 control arms that I got to put onto my TJ and just looking for pointers.

Todd Ockert

There should be no issues with installing the MC control arms on your Jeep.
MC installed mine last year.
I did remove one this year when we had to weld on a new lower control arm bracket.
No issues with getting the arm off or back on.

From my post last year where I still had the Currie arms, to now with the MC arms, I can tell you that the Jeep rides better on the road.
It still wheels exceptionally well.
On the CTI trailer, it scored around 750 with the Currie arms.
With the MC arms, 850.

Todd

Javey

Jeep Newb
What is the long term durability of the MC arms? I have been considering them also but don't know anyone personally that has them or anything about how long they last before rebuild or replace.

Todd Ockert

My MC lift has been installed for just over a year.
It has 8 wheeling trips on it on some of the hardest terrain that we have in the Sierra's.

I have seen no issues.
Granted, a year is not that long.

Thanks

Todd

mtnmods

Jeep Newb
Yup. Straight up. There's nothing that touches Metalcloak. Plus, they're humans over there. Currie guys are helpful but its more typical of the industry - you feel like you're putting them out if you ask questions.

mtnmods

Jeep Newb
Bilstein is super helpful with shock selection. Often they will suggest a 5125 which is a generic 5100 that comes in any variety of damping. Soft, soft/med, med, med/firm, firm, etc.