Ask The Expert- Metal cloak control arms vs curry

MickeyB

Jeep Owner
I am trying to decide between metalcloak's control arms with duroflex joints vs curry's with Johnny joints. Here are my questions for those that may know:

1. Metalcloak's website shows that they out flex the curry arms by quite a bit. Does anyone have knowledge of this to confirm it in real life ?
Here is their like to the comparison :

http://www.metalcloak.com/Jeep-Suspension-Builders-Parts-s/235.htm

2. Do either arms have the joints on both ends or just one?

lindel

Jeep Owner
Curry arms have Johnny Joints at both ends, MC arms have duroflex joints at both ends. Both are quality arms, both work very well. I currently have MC arms up front, and Curry/Savvy arms in the rear. I didn't plan it that way, it just worked out that way. I'll be swapping the rear arms out for MC arms, as funds allow...not because I dislike the Curry arms in any way, but I figure that I went with a MC Game changer lift (albeit, a piece at a time), I might as well go all the way.

MickeyB

Jeep Owner
Curry arms have Johnny Joints at both ends, MC arms have duroflex joints at both ends. Both are quality arms, both work very well. I currently have MC arms up front, and Curry/Savvy arms in the rear. I didn't plan it that way, it just worked out that way. I'll be swapping the rear arms out for MC arms, as funds allow...not because I dislike the Curry arms in any way, but I figure that I went with a MC Game changer lift (albeit, a piece at a time), I might as well go all the way.
I'm also looking at the game changer lift. Did you go with the six pack shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd Ockert

I have the Currie arms on our Jeep. It performs very well, but if I could swap them out to the MetalCloak arms I would. Just a cost thing at the moment.
It is not that I dislike the Currie arms, just that I know MetalCloak does a lot to support Land Use and Access and i will support them.

I would say that either is good, MC is better, and more so for their support of Land Use and Access.

Thanks

MickeyB

Jeep Owner
Guys, one more question: will adding curry or metal cloak control arms and track bars affect the ride quality? ie. More body roll or instability of any kind?

Pthorpe84

Staff member
The track bars will affect ride and is recommended. The control arms will affect ride quality when off-road, this is primarily due to the flexing. Stock arms are extremely stiff.

On road, the duroflex joints will creat a very quiet ride due to the way the joint is made. The MC arms will give you a smoother ride on road as well. Just like how the joints dampen noise, it will absorb the shock from the bumps in the road.

Most of your "smooth ride" will come from your shocks and springs. Everything else will affect the vehicles mannerisms when maneuvering.

Last edited:

MickeyB

Jeep Owner
I'm currently on non progressive springs and Bilstein 5100. I like my smooth ride quality. Is it fair to say that progressive springs will stiffen up the ride?

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I think Todd can prolly better elaborate on that. I do know that the 5100's are know for their stiffness. For a smoother ride you may want a softer shock. The 5160's are a bit softer. I have yet to order my MC's so I am not sure how they would compare.

lindel

Jeep Owner
I'm currently on non progressive springs and Bilstein 5100. I like my smooth ride quality. Is it fair to say that progressive springs will stiffen up the ride?

I had Bilsteins...I'm glad I moved to OME. Night and day difference between the two, when it comes to slow speed, small event (read minor differences on a paved road, at around 40 mph, or less). I often describe is as not only being able to tell you if it was a dime, or a nickel that I just drove over, but also being able to tell you if it was heads or tails. The Nitrochargers smoothed a lot of that out. It's not as smooth as my Lincoln Town Car...but it's not a buckboard anymore, either.

Todd Ockert

I think Todd can prolly better elaborate on that. I do know that the 5100's are know for their stiffness. For a smoother ride you may want a softer shock. The 5160's are a bit softer. I have yet to order my MC's so I am not sure how they would compare.

I have the Rancho 9000 shocks, and not extremely happy with them.

As far as springs, I am still on my original RE springs. They need to be replaced soon.
Something else to the list to get done soon.

The new springs will be the MC dual rate springs, and I will probably put new shocks on at the same time.

Todd

timatoe

Jeep Fanatic
As far as shocks, you're gonna be best off with ordering the length and valving you want rather than just some off the shelf shock. I had 5150's on the front of my YJ before the stretch and went with 5100's afterword because I needed longer shocks and they were relatively cheap. I got the 5100 with softer set up than the others, I think it's just a matter of what you're looking for. I don't tend to go real fast over much of nothing.

NorCalScott

Jeep Newb
The track bars will affect ride and is recommended. The control will affect ride quality when off-road, this is primarily due to the flexing. Stock arms are extremely stiff. With that being said, on road the arms will make no difference at all.

Most of your "smooth ride" will come from your shocks and springs. Everything else will affect the vehicles mannerisms when maneuvering.

true to a certain degree, however MC arms with rubber on both ends isolate road vibration from the axle to the frame better than more solid joints, i.e. currie.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
true to a certain degree, however MC arms with rubber on both ends isolate road vibration from the axle to the frame better than more solid joints, i.e. currie.
Agree 100%. Very valid point. For you bow hunters out there, this is very similar to a limbsaver.

MickeyB

Jeep Owner
With my Currie arms, I know I get a lot of the road shock from bumps into the Jeep.

Todd
Todd, what jeep do you have and did you replace just the control arms or any other components. I want more articulation from my JKU but like my current soft ride quality. Hoping to get the best of both worlds. I am running stock control arms now except the front lower. Those are offroad evolution's EVO arms.

Todd Ockert

Todd, what jeep do you have and did you replace just the control arms or any other components. I want more articulation from my JKU but like my current soft ride quality. Hoping to get the best of both worlds. I am running stock control arms now except the front lower. Those are offroad evolution's EVO arms.

I have a 2004 TJ.
The control arms are from Currie, and we replaced all of them (upper and lower). I also have the Currie track bars front and rear.
The coil springs are from my original Rubicon Express 3.5 inch super flex kit.
We run the Currie Antirock up front and no sway bar on the rear.
For what we built it for, it does really well.
I know it will do better if we put the MC arms on it from their long arm kit.
My wheeling buddy has their long arm kit, and loves how it wheels, and runs down the road.

Todd