Tips & Tricks for on the trails

Todd Ockert

It was suggested that I start a Tips and Tricks thread.

If you have some good Tips and Tricks for while on the trail, please post them up.

I will share one of mine.
I inspect the suspension and drive train prior to every trip to the trail.
This lets me find anything loose, or anything that needs to be maintained prior to hitting the trail.

I have built our Jeep myself, and have a pretty good bag of spare bolts and hardware.
I have had to share these with others who have broken on the trail.

I will get a picture of the wire repair kit I carry with me, and it has come in handy at times also.

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member

Always have a big hammer, pry bar, and big crescent wrench. You never know when you will bend a control arm mount or various other items and need to straighten them out!

Another good tip is to have a good spotter. One that has experience. Trust what they say, not what you think you see. This will ensure you make it over the obstacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timatoe

Jeep Fanatic
I always carry a couple of gallon size ziploc bags. Puppy pads are also WAY more absorbent than you'd think.

Todd Ockert

Here are a couple of pictures of the basic stuff I always have with me.

This first picture is of the basic tools.
A wire repair kit, 1/2 impact and sockets, basic metric and SAE wrenches, u-joints, multimeter and a bag full of take-off nuts and bolts from upgrades.
The two sticks of material is a JB-Weld kind of material.
IMG_1909.jpg

This picture is of the basic recovery equipment I carry.
Strap, winch controller, d-rings, choker chain, snatch block, oil spill kit, air hose. I forgot to put the power tank air chuck in the photo.
Gloves for handling winch line or hot items.
A little smittybuilt axe thing that has a couple of cool features on it.
IMG_1910.jpg

If I am going on an overnight trip where I can not easily get to my trailer, I will also have some of the basic fluids in an ammo can.
this includes, engine oil, gear oil and brake fluid.

Todd

lindel

Jeep Owner
Aside from tools, and a recovery kit, I also bring along a decent first aid kit. Good enough to dress most minor wounds.

timatoe

Jeep Fanatic
Aside from tools, and a recovery kit, I also bring along a decent first aid kit. Good enough to dress most minor wounds.
Good mention. I have a decent kit as well with plenty of packing, wraps, pads etc. I wheel with a guy that brings a suture kit, not sure I'd want to be sewn up on the trail but it's gotta beat gettin' dead.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Good mention. I have a decent kit as well with plenty of packing, wraps, pads etc. I wheel with a guy that brings a suture kit, not sure I'd want to be sewn up on the trail but it's gotta beat gettin' dead.
A great alternate that I keep with me hunting and wheeling is super glue. I have had to glue wounds together several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd Ockert

I forgot to include the basic first aid kit that we carry.
We have had club members before that were fully certified EMT's, and carried a trauma kit with them.

We have had only one occasion with our club that the full trauma kit would have been handy when a member rolled a Jeep down a 100 foot cliff at Panamint.

All good stuff here.

Thanks

Todd

Crankshaft

Jeep Newb
Id prefer a trauma kit as it's for serious wounds, allergic reactions, or other useful life saving first response use.

To me a basic bandaid kit is a waste of time, I don't need any freaking Band-Aids man lolol. ;):D

Last edited: