New guy from NorCal (Pic Heavy)

timatoe

Jeep Fanatic
New here, thought I'd do a quick intro.

I'm up in the Sierra foothills between Sacramento and Truckee / Tahoe, about 45 minute from Fordyce and about 85 miles from the Rubicon. I've got a '90 YJ I bought in '06 from a guy that parked it on a side road from the highway and stuck a for sale sign in the window when it broke down hoping it wouldn't get towed. :dunno: I came across it and called him, he said it needed a battery and had a slight engine knock. I bought it cause it was a screaming deal for this area without ever even hearing it run :stupid: Body was in great shape and basically stock with the exception of huge lift shackles and a body lift.

Got it home and put a battery in it, whip around the block and that slight knock was WAY more than that and the transmission was growling. New motor and trans later and I pull out of my buddies garage and blew the stock 35 within 1/2 mile. Didn't know any better at the time and got the D35 completely rebuilt (recouped a whopping $75 for that later).

I didn't take any pics when I first brought it home. This is about a year later, I had pulled the body lift and shackles, built front and rear bumpers, sliders, put some TJ flares on it for a little more clearance, moved the fuel filler to the side, etc.....

Collected parts for a while because as we all know we have to keep building...
2" BDS springs SOA on the stock D30 with on piece shafts, 8.8 rear, 35's, ARB's etc.

The paint on the hood was worn and fading through to the primer so a couple years later, I pulled it in the garage, sanded it down, tore it apart and sprayed the whole thing with Monsta Liner

Ran it that way until last December and tore it apart again. Stretched the front about 3 1/2" on a bastard pack of XJ springs and the rear about 8" on a set of Explorer springs, put in a HP D44 from a '79 F250 and a rear D60 and bumped up to 37's. Picked up a 14 bolt for the rear and will swap that in at some point (maybe over winter), will run that and the 44 until such time comes that I can link it and get a D60 front. Here's how it sits now except I reworked the front and rear shackle mounts to get a less dramatic shackle angle.

So there you have it a super pic heavy intro. Everyone likes pictures :D

Last edited:

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Nice looking rig. Once a build starts, it never seems to end!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Thanks

Yeah, my wife keeps saying "didn't you already do that?" Now I just respond, "At least twice" :D
We have a 1970 Chevelle SS in out shop right now and our accountant keeps asking me why stuff is done over and over. We seem to fix one issues and break something else. It's all part of building a vehicle to perform well beyond its intended purpose.

It's fun to me... and I assume us.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk