RHINO's Build 2012 JKR Gecko

rhin0247

Jeep Owner
This will be my 4'th Jeep build (YJ,ZJ, and TJ before), and I couldn't be more excited. It will take some time as the lady and I are saving for our wedding (this week on 6/4/16), honeymoon, and a house... But this jeep will get built. At the beginning of last summer (2015) my fiance totaled her little Jetta so we went out and got her dream vehicle a 2012 all black JKU. Well after about 24hrs of it sitting in the driveway I couldn't take it anymore I went out and got myself a 2 door Gecko Rubi.

IMAG0142.jpg

I had planned out almost all upgrades so far and started working on it. First was a soft top (TrekTop NX), front bumber, and exhaust

IMAG0157.jpg

Next was the stereo, I already had the amps, speakers, and sub from another project... I wanted to keep the factory head unit as I am amazed at how well the Uconnect works (the fact that people can hear me on the highway with no top or doors is just damn impressive). So after the wiring kits came in I crammed everything in.

IMAG0173.jpg
IMAG0176.jpg
IMAG0178.jpg

The sound is so much better now. Not gonna lie, install was a PITA, especially the front pods. But it was worth the hassle.

rhin0247

Jeep Owner
Next was some light, both inside and out. I installed a 50" light bar and 2 pods on my windshield and added the piller switches (also placed 2 blindspot mirrors on my vents for when the doors are off). On the inside I added four LEDs to the speaker bar and wired them to the factory dome light. Deleted the spare tire mount and relocated the plate to the tailgate, the spare just gets thrown in the back when offroading until I can paint and install my tire carrier.

View attachment 127

View attachment 128

View attachment 129

View attachment 130

View attachment 131

^^^^ NO IDEA WHY THE PICTURES ARE NOT EMBEDDED ^^

Last edited:

rhin0247

Jeep Owner
Next Up was to get some 35's on there and cut the flares.. I had Kumho road venture mt's on my TJ and loved them, so i got another set. I also got Truck Lite LED headlights, which was such an improvement over stock

1442257459382.jpg

1442702481017.jpg

rhin0247

Jeep Owner
I Switched the bumper for a CC stinger

IMG_20151223_0859424.jpg

And all my old stuff went on to the Ladys 4 door

IMG_20160101_1448074.jpg

Last edited:

rhin0247

Jeep Owner
When I got news that I might be traveling out west to the Rubicon I decided that it was time to kick the build into a higher gear... Metalcloak 4.5" game changer, 37 cooper tires, wheel's, tire carrier, sliders, and the rest of the armor I needed got ordered.

image_756.jpg

image_760.jpg

IMG_20160509_2348576.jpg

Last edited:

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Can you post a close up pic of the handle on the tire cage. I have the same one and have issues with it staying tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I have the old. I may need to reach out to them to see if I can get a retrofit. Love the carrier but that handle has been a pain! Thanks for the pic. Build is looking great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk