New Tires Milestar Patagonia

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I have been looking around for new tires for a few weeks now. I am beginning to weigh my options on 38's or 40's when I decide to do some more upgrading. I noticed lots of folks running the Milestar Patagonia's. I was even more ecstatic to see that they offer a 38X13.50's in a 17. They do have a unique tread pattern, but the more I look at it the more I like it. The patter does resemble the Goodyear Duratracs. Which was widely regarded as one of the best tires in a 33 and 35. Check them out....What do you think?

Milestar Tires Website

Milestar.jpg

Xkid

Jeep Fanatic
I’m really liking them. Why do you want a 13.5 wide tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I’m really liking them. Why do you want a 13.5 wide tire?

It’s not that I want a 13.5 tire. But most 38’s are 14.5 to 15.5 wide for a 17” rim. I’m running 37X13.50 now and they do fine.

SSinGA

Jeep Fanatic
Ive seen lots of good reviews on them but mostly from folks out west. Want to know how they handle our southern clay.

Watch the YouTube video by LiteBrite

Matsonian

Administrator
Staff member
Just ran the Patagonia's through the Rubicon on four rigs, and they grabbed the rocks like a champ! The bonus is when we drove home, they are SUPER quiet... almost freakishly so.

38470067_1588703431241788_2629785690539294720_n.jpg

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Just ran the Patagonia's through the Rubicon on four rigs, and they grabbed the rocks like a champ! The bonus is when we drove home, they are SUPER quiet... almost freakishly so.

View attachment 1197
How was the initial sidewall flex when aired down? Take some time to break in?

Also, what did the tred look like after the ride? Lots of scars?

anotheraznguy

Jeep Newb
I have these in 37x12.5r17 and was curious what everyone was running for street / trail pressure.

Right now my street pressure on a JL is 28 psi but i did the chalk test and the outer lugs were barely wearing the chalk.

AMcBride423

Jeep Owner
Anyone running these in the Mid-West/North East??
I am looking to pick up a set of the 38s myself, and all the reviews on them I can find are from people out west. Id really like to know how they do here in Ohio as a lot of our trails are often muddy and our rocks slick and covered in moss. Im sure they will do great here in the dry, only problem is that is often a rare blessing...

mecmar44

Jeep Newb
I have these in 37x12.5r17 and was curious what everyone was running for street / trail pressure.

Right now my street pressure on a JL is 28 psi but i did the chalk test and the outer lugs were barely wearing the chalk.
I am running the same size on a 9" wide rim, at 25 PSI I'm still not using the full contact patch. Right now I am around 22-23 psi but still need to do the chalk test to verify.

Anyone running these in the Mid-West/North East??
I am looking to pick up a set of the 38s myself, and all the reviews on them I can find are from people out west. Id really like to know how they do here in Ohio as a lot of our trails are often muddy and our rocks slick and covered in moss. Im sure they will do great here in the dry, only problem is that is often a rare blessing...
I'm more of the Southeast - GA specifically. So far I have been very happy with the road manners and how quiet these tires are. I have 1000 miles on them with 1 wheeling trip that involved lots of Georgia Clay. All things considered these tires did great and went places where other tires struggled to find traction. Where my Jeep fell short was when traction control would kick it and kill all momentum. All bets are off at that point.

MaineJeeper

Jeep Lover
I have been following the reviews on these Patagonias since fall. I like what I have seen and I plan to pick up a set for my JKUR soon. At the price for a set I would think they are hard to beat for the $. I like that they are on the quiet side for an aggressive tire. To the people who currently run them did you pick them up locally or buy online for the best price? I received a quote locally for small amount more than online so I am planning to purchase from my local shop.

AMcBride423

Jeep Owner
I'm more of the Southeast - GA specifically. So far I have been very happy with the road manners and how quiet these tires are. I have 1000 miles on them with 1 wheeling trip that involved lots of Georgia Clay. All things considered these tires did great and went places where other tires struggled to find traction. Where my Jeep fell short was when traction control would kick it and kill all momentum. All bets are off at that point.
Thats awesome to hear, that GA clay is nasty. What PSI do you wheel at? I can get a pretty good deal on them through a friend of mine, so, if they dont work for me, I can always resell them and grab a set of MT/Rs.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Thats awesome to hear, that GA clay is nasty. What PSI do you wheel at? I can get a pretty good deal on them through a friend of mine, so, if they dont work for me, I can always resell them and grab a set of MT/Rs.
I would advise passing on the MT/R's. Hands down a horrible tire. Tough to balance. Don't hook up well, at least here in TN. The whole thing was not a pleasant experience. I am running Toyo's right now and they have been great. 2 of them do not require weights at all.

I would be surprised if you didn't like the Patagonia's. Everyone I have spoke to absolutely loves them.

TJ_Tim

Jeep Newb
I'll second the no on the MT/Rs. I've run Mickey Thompson MTX's and MTZ's, Duratracs, MT/Rs, and Toyo Open Country. The Goodyears have definitely been the worst. This LJ I have came with BFG KO2 and they're too hard for my taste. I'll be going back to my Mickey T's unless I can see how these Patagonias hold up

mecmar44

Jeep Newb
Ran them around 20psi that day. Hindsight is 20/20, they probably would have performed even better if I was aired down more.

AMcBride423

Jeep Owner
I would advise passing on the MT/R's. Hands down a horrible tire. Tough to balance. Don't hook up well, at least here in TN. The whole thing was not a pleasant experience. I am running Toyo's right now and they have been great. 2 of them do not require weights at all.

I would be surprised if you didn't like the Patagonia's. Everyone I have spoke to absolutely loves them.
Really? Many of my local friends run the MT/Rs from 35s up to 42s and they seem to work great here in Ohio. A good friend of mine is running them in a 42 on his LJ with raceline beadlocks and can run 70+ down the highway and never balanced them...

I got the Cooper Sst pro on mine been good tire so far got about 15000.00 miles on them so far still have half tread on them. They stay balanced.
My STT Pros have around 30k on them and are getting to their last leg, which is why I am looking for new tires. I have really liked them, though I have sliced two sidewalls with one resulting in a full puncture.
I originally looked into the MTZ P3 before I settled on the STT Pros, I liked them as well, settled with Cooper because they were made in Ohio.

Ran them around 20psi that day. Hindsight is 20/20, they probably would have performed even better if I was aired down more.
I usually air down between 10-12PSI w/out beadlocks when wheeling, so I'm sure they would be pretty malable. I plan on getting beadlocks when I buy tires if not before as I am tired of breaking beads and will be dropping to 5PSI from then on.