Tire Tread of Choice?

JeepnDel

Administrator
Staff member
Soft sand, damp, like in the coastal dunes, what is your build choice for tires? A/T, M/T?

tire sand_ko2.jpg

Pthorpe84

Staff member
As of right now, my choice is the Toyo M/T. I ran the MTR-K's and was completely disappointed in them. I have been searching for a 38X13.50 in a 17 for a long time now. I finally found one by Milestar. I think I am going to pull the trigger on these. I saw several folks running them in Moab and they appeared to do well. Anyone have any experience with them?

milestar-patagonia.jpg

Todd Ockert

Not able to post a picture from work, but I have the BFG KM2.

It has been a great tire, and will put the new KM3 on soon.

I have also ran the older BFG KO and for the Sierra Mountains, it was a great tire on the granite.

Todd

Jegar

Jeep Owner
Not able to post a picture from work, but I have the BFG KM2.

It has been a great tire, and will put the new KM3 on soon.

I have also ran the older BFG KO and for the Sierra Mountains, it was a great tire on the granite.

Todd
I'm anxious to see how you like the KM3's, once you put them on. I almost bought a set a month or so back, but two of my tires are pretty new, so I decided just to replace the 2 old ones (40,000 on the KM2's).

Being new to Jeeps, I've only experienced the BFG KM2s. My Jeep came with KO2s, but I replaced them with 35" KM2s at 3000 miles when I added my MC lift. I have been very happy with them overall, except they have started loosing big chunks wheeling on granite at Wolf Caves (TX), and they sucked in slick clay/mud ruts the one time I ran Windrock Park in TN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd Ockert

My KM2's also have some big chunks out of the tread blocks from playing in the High Sierra's of California.

I had heard BFG went to a harder compound, and that is what is causing the chunking issues.
They still wheel exceptionally well though.
Looking forward to wheeling Wolf Caves or Katemecy.

Todd

GaryG

Jeep Owner
I too run the BFG KM2's and have been very happy with the traction in all conditions.
That being said, they do chunk on the rocks. I've been keeping my eyes on them but haven't noticed any adverse issues yet.
I've also been listening to opinions for a replacement with as good of traction with no chunking...20180803_100612.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I too run the BFG KM2's and have been very happy with the traction in all conditions.
That being said, they do chunk on the rocks. I've been keeping my eyes on them but haven't noticed any adverse issues yet.
I've also been listening to opinions for a replacement with as good of traction with no chunking...View attachment 1195

Just go get you some stick Trepadors Gary. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryG

Jeep Owner
[emoji16] trying to wear these down a bit more before I broach that $ubject!

Had MTZs on my JK that were great in the South Carolina mud, then 37" STT Pros that I never had any problems with. My Comanche has 31" K02s on it, I'll see how they do in the snow here in a couple weeks in Ohio