Worn Anti Rock Arms

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I stumbled across these pics online and was curious if this is a common problem with the aluminum Antirocks? I know the aluminum is much softer than the rod it’s connected too, so I can see how this would happen. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
So I am assuming it’s really not worth the weight savings or the extra dough on the aluminum arms. I wonder if the steel ones do this.

Todd Ockert

I have been running my steel antirock arms for a long time.
Not seen this issue with mine.

With the aluminum and steel, you could also have some dissimilar metal corrosion causing part of this issue also.

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
With the aluminum and steel, you could also have some dissimilar metal corrosion causing part of this issue also.

Todd
Yep. Dissimilar metals is a concern and could be a contributing factor. The less noble will sacrifice itself to protect the more noble metal. All those NACE classes have finally paid off I guess. lol.

This is another reason I’m hesitant to use aluminum parts on my Jeep. Yes I know the rate of deterioration will be minor with the two alloys, but my job makes me think way too much into it. After all, our aluminum wheels are seated on steel. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jegar

Jeep Owner
Yep. Dissimilar metals is a concern and could be a contributing factor. The less noble will sacrifice itself to protect the more noble metal. All those NACE classes have finally paid off I guess. lol.

This is another reason I’m hesitant to use aluminum parts on my Jeep. Yes I know the rate of deterioration will be minor with the two alloys, but my job makes me think way too much into it. After all, our aluminum wheels are seated on steel. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So....On a slight deviation from the topic of Anti-Rock, but in regards to combined metal issues and corrosion: Steel bracing plate under an aluminum trailer (to hold steel E-track plates for tie downs) a bad idea? The plates were painted first and the E-tracks are powder-coated, except where cut and/or scratched.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Because they are coated. You have an insulator that will prevent the metals from interacting. You should be good.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Phew!!!!

I am going to tell you the opposite than PThorpe, but mine comes from experience. Nothing under a trailer stays coated. We are in Michigan and we put E-track in our smaller aluminum trailer and did what you did, put primer and painted metal under. Where wherever the metal touched the aluminum, the aluminum started to poweder away and the metal was rusting pretty bad. In the places the screws went through the e track into the aluminum, we had the same issue. the screws held nothing down anymore.

The ONLY way that works is if you use stainless hardware and do not let your backing plates touch aluminum. Our new trailer has stailess hardware and aluminum backing plates. Lesson learned pretty quick. 2 years.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I am going to tell you the opposite than PThorpe, but mine comes from experience. Nothing under a trailer stays coated. We are in Michigan and we put E-track in our smaller aluminum trailer and did what you did, put primer and painted metal under. Where wherever the metal touched the aluminum, the aluminum started to poweder away and the metal was rusting pretty bad. In the places the screws went through the e track into the aluminum, we had the same issue. the screws held nothing down anymore.

The ONLY way that works is if you use stainless hardware and do not let your backing plates touch aluminum. Our new trailer has stailess hardware and aluminum backing plates. Lesson learned pretty quick. 2 years.
You are correct. I was stating that each that there would have to be a barrier between the steel and aluminum to prevent the reaction. If you add salt or brine to the mix, that will accelerate the rate of corrosion. In particular it will attack the coating and absolutely destroy the it. Be careful with stainless hardware, as it will become the more noble metal and cause the steel to deteriorate quickly. You would need to use a rubber washer on both ends to assist in preventing the contact. Also the hole in which the bolt goes through is susceptible to the same interaction.

Salt or Brine is the biggest issue in what your saying. It’s creates a pathway for the corrosion to take place. I honestly don’t know how anything up north last for more than two years. That environment is tough.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
You are correct. I was stating that each that there would have to be a barrier between the steel and aluminum to prevent the reaction. If you add salt or brine to the mix, that will accelerate the rate of corrosion. In particular it will attack the coating and absolutely destroy the it. Be careful with stainless hardware, as it will become the more noble metal and cause the steel to deteriorate quickly. You would need to use a rubber washer on both ends to assist in preventing the contact. Also the hole in which the bolt goes through is susceptible to the same interaction.

Salt or Brine is the biggest issue in what your saying. It’s creates a pathway for the corrosion to take place. I honestly don’t know how anything up north last for more than two years. That environment is tough.

Actually, stuff up here lasts pretty well. You just have to be smart about items with poor wiring or grounds. It is just like a boat. Electrical flow can determine if corrosion happens faster or slower.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Actually, stuff up here lasts pretty well. You just have to be smart about items with poor wiring or grounds. It is just like a boat. Electrical flow can determine if corrosion happens faster or slower.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I take pills to be this smart.

Todd Ockert

This thread started some good discussion on corrosion.
There are many different kinds of corrosion.
Mentioned here is dissimilar corrosion.
It will become more common as we place aluminum or other lightweight armor on our rigs.
It will happen over time, and can be slow.
Add salt water or brine from the roads like in Michigan, and it speeds up the process.
Add an electrical current to it, and speed it up even more.

Most of us are familiar with the typical surface rust from when we have scratched the paint off our armor.
This is typical, and is usually very slow.

Corrosion is the process of metal returning to its natural state.

Most companies don't tell us how to stop the uncommon types of corrosion.
The surface rust is easy, we just clean it up, prime it, and repaint it until the next rock.

A little research will go a long way on stopping or slowing down some of the different types of corrosion.

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Yep. The powder on the aluminum that Brian mentioned is what amazes me. That is called white rust. Most folks don’t think that non-ferrous metals can “rust” but they can. Electrolysis is one of neatest forms of accelerated corrosion. All can happen with the above scenarios.

But like y’all mentioned. It’s often very slow occurring, but one we should all keep in mind.

Jegar

Jeep Owner

Good information, and experience goes a long way!

I did wonder how much the salting played a roll, as mentioned by PThorpe below. But at the end of the day corrosion happens :(

I'm going to have them pull off the plates and add rubber/silicone sheets between. Thanks!

Jegar

Jeep Owner
This thread started some good discussion on corrosion.
There are many different kinds of corrosion.
Mentioned here is dissimilar corrosion.
It will become more common as we place aluminum or other lightweight armor on our rigs.
It will happen over time, and can be slow.
Add salt water or brine from the roads like in Michigan, and it speeds up the process.
Add an electrical current to it, and speed it up even more.

Most of us are familiar with the typical surface rust from when we have scratched the paint off our armor.
This is typical, and is usually very slow.

Corrosion is the process of metal returning to its natural state.

Most companies don't tell us how to stop the uncommon types of corrosion.
The surface rust is easy, we just clean it up, prime it, and repaint it until the next rock.

A little research will go a long way on stopping or slowing down some of the different types of corrosion.

Todd
Please tell!