changing front axle and rear gears

3_percenter

Jeep Newb
Ok, this is my situation for which I am asking TRUE jeep wrangler experts for help. I want to replace the entire front axle to a (MOPAR Dana 44 complete front axle assembly that comes with 4:10 elocker) I can do this on a weekend, with no problem. My rear is oem with open diff and 3.21 gears. I'll have to take to local installer to have this done since I don't have the tools or location to do this properly. It would be my first time replacing diff so it would take me longer than the experts. I also can't have my car off the road since it's my daily driver. The DANA 44 front axle should be fine for mudding. I don't do rock crawling so gearing should be a nice compromise. I hate 3.21 gears

My question is can I install front axle with 4.10 and have rear be oem with 3.21 for a short period of time without creating an issue? If I'm not mistaken, as long as I don't engage the front axle I should be fine. Am I wrong?

2014 JK sport
FRONT: DANA 30, 3.21
READ: DANA 44, 3.21
33s tires possibly go to 35's
2 1/2" lift

P.S. future dreams diesel swap....

chitown35

Jeep Owner
To make your situation "stupid proof" don't install the front driveshaft until the rear is geared the same as the front.
Good idea. Although you know it's impossible to make anything fool proof, because fools are so ingenious.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Agree with Brian on no front drive shaft. That will prevent issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk