JKUR MC long travel, lock n load or 4-link

GaryG

Jeep Owner
Looking for comments and observations on these two kits. Going to 5-1/2" with rocksports and want to hear some real world comments about both styles. I like that the lock n load doesn't require welding and addresses binding but it looks like it puts all the stress on the two mounts. Any feedback is appreciated, still trying to make up my mind :dunno:

thedirtman

Jeep Owner
Are you planning on installing a caster corrected axle at that height? Steering may be a big issue if not addressed.

GaryG

Jeep Owner
Good question dirtman, I'm glad you brought it up. I was under the assumption (I know... I should know better by now) that the adjustment on the upper and lower arms would allow me to keep the camber in check. Is it a known issue at that height?

chitown35

Jeep Owner
I think dirtman was more referring to the balancing act needed to keep caster in check while still having a decent pinion angle. The stock axles only provide 6 degrees of separation, so if your caster is decent at 5 degrees, that only gives you 1 degree of angle on your pinion. Which at 5.5" of lift will likely not be enough to prevent a driveline vibration on a double cardan joint. And I doubt the stock rzeppa driveshaft would last long running constantly at those angles either.

Hence dirtman asked if you were doing a caster corrected housing, which would allow 9-10 degrees of separation. Another option could be the teraflex high angle rzeppa joint - even better if you put it on a Tatton driveshaft that's more impact resistant than the stock one.

Btw what size tires you putting under that 5.5" lift?

Pthorpe84

Staff member
And I doubt the stock rzeppa driveshaft would last long running constantly at those angles either.

Btw what size tires you putting under that 5.5" lift?

Chunk the damn stock drive lines. Garbage with long travel suspensions.

Gary will be running the all new KM3’s in 31’s. But don’t worry he will be running tons. So it will look good at that height. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryG

Jeep Owner
Lol, thanks for chiming in Phil. 31's would make even the mall a challenge!

Thanks chitown for the lengthier explanation, I'm still learning. I was planning on replacing the drive shafts and thought the double cardon would handle it. I'll look into those rzeppa high angle units.
I'm keeping the stock 44 for now so I wasn't going larger than 37's to keep abuse down. I can't afford axles and lift together...
I'm looking to increase ground clearance with the longer wheelbase JKU, with the 3-1/2 and 35's I'm using the sliders and skids more than I like. I want the wheels in contact with the ground more on the harder stuff.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Gary, a 4.5” lift is more than enough. Especially if you are going to stay at 40’s or less. Heck even 3.5” is enough(that’s what she said...never!). But I get the allure of the 6” lifts. Trust me I have even thought about it.

The biggest thing you need to do to those stock axles is get the C’s gusseted. They are the weakest link. Then get prepared for Ball Joints. You will burn the stock ones up with in a few thousand miles and 37’s....35’s for that matter. Especially if you wheel.

Also, a lift will only give you more belly clearance. Bigger tires will give you more over all clearance. Get the 37’s and keep the 3.5” for now. Maybe upgrade a few things on your suspension. 6-paks or even coil overs.

Az Scooter

Jeep Newb
I will respectfully disagree on the going through ball joints on 37’s. My experience may be unusual, but I have had 35’s on since day one of my Jeep, and did for 30,000 miles. I switched to 37’s and have had them for about 8000 miles, and had no problems with ball joints. I usually run trails that are rated 6 or 7 in Moab or Sand Hollow and go to each location at least twice a year. I also tend to run more difficult trails in Arizona on a semi weekly basis. I have had more trouble breaking shock mounts than with Ball Joints,

GaryG

Jeep Owner
I had EVO Manufacturing weld on the C gussets when I had them do the gears last year, they also put on the lower control arm skids.
It does great up through the 7 rated trails. We did Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley earlier this year, it's an 8-9 and it needed the winch about 3 times. We're doing the Dusy-Ershim in September, it's 7-10 and I wanted more belly clearance to reduce the winch time.

chitown35

Jeep Owner
Gary I'm with you on needing more clearance than 35s on a 3.5. Personally I'm going 37s first, then I'll decide on whether lift height needs to increase. I've got some aftermarket axles, but even so I have always avoided the 40s thought process because I don't want to start wanting an ls swap. So yeah unlike most I could maybe see the need for 5.5" of lift. I actually think the smaller the tire the bigger lift you need.

That all being said, I would say do 37s and 6paks first, see where that gets you. While doing so you can work on getting all the travel you can out of your setup, down to 1 or 2" bumpstop.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I will respectfully disagree on the going through ball joints on 37’s. My experience may be unusual, but I have had 35’s on since day one of my Jeep, and did for 30,000 miles. I switched to 37’s and have had them for about 8000 miles, and had no problems with ball joints. I usually run trails that are rated 6 or 7 in Moab or Sand Hollow and go to each location at least twice a year. I also tend to run more difficult trails in Arizona on a semi weekly basis. I have had more trouble breaking shock mounts than with Ball Joints,
Pretty impressive. I just hope to get 20k on my synergies.

I was running MTr-K 37’s that would not balance and a badly bent tie rod. So the added stresses could have led to the early demise of my factory joints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I had EVO Manufacturing weld on the C gussets when I had them do the gears last year, they also put on the lower control arm skids.
It does great up through the 7 rated trails. We did Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley earlier this year, it's an 8-9 and it needed the winch about 3 times. We're doing the Dusy-Ershim in September, it's 7-10 and I wanted more belly clearance to reduce the winch time.
Well. Go have the Genright Elite suspension put on. It will give you a tummy tuck. Heck....it’s only money ....and lots of it. It you will get that belly clearance and keep it low. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GaryG

Jeep Owner
Lol, I think that kit may cost me half of what I own if you know what I mean! That's way more then I'm willing to spend!
I'm happy with one step at a time.

Marine660

Jeep Owner
I have 4.5 with 40s running the overline fenders. I would not recommend 3.5” lift unless you want to restrict turning angle.