Hydraulic Steering Asst.

Praiseman62

Jeep Owner
I’m looking to add Hydraulic Steering Asst to my 2014 JKU. Ever since I went to 37 inch tires they want to bind up when Wheeling, especially when going downhill. Right now I’m looking at PSC & Redneck Ram. Any advice or reviews on these systems would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I know several with both. The WTO Redneck Ram is the route I will take. The system works very well, however I will be adding the cooler. Eventually your pump will give out and you can add those pieces as you go. Seems like I have seen more issues with the PSC.

Life without Hydraulic and locked axles sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Praiseman62

Jeep Owner
I’ve decided to go Redneck Ram also.

2014 JKU Sahara, Carbon/Currie Rock Jock 44 front 60 rear with 5.13 gears and ARB Lockers, Rubicon 4-1 Transfer Case, ARB Twin Compressor, Viair 2.5 gallon air tank, MC 3.5 Gamechanger, 6 pac shocks, MC Front Bumper with Bull Bar, Smittybilt X20 10000 lbs winch, MC Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, MC Overline Fenders, MC Rock Rail, MC Tie Rod & Draglink, MC Skid Under Armor, Toyo 37x13.50 R18 Tires, DV8 Heat Hood, Line X Coated in Copperhead Pearl & Black, KC 8” HID Lights on top, KC Gravity LED Lights on Bull bar, Rigid diffused flood lights on 4 corners, Backup Camera, KC Rock Lights, Apollo Intech switchpod. Flowmaster Exaust, K&N Air Intake.

Praiseman62

Jeep Owner
No nothing added right now. I ordered the kit yesterday. Install will take place this weekend.

2014 JKU Sahara, Carbon/Currie Rock Jock 44 front 60 rear with 5.13 gears and ARB Lockers, Rubicon 4-1 Transfer Case, ARB Twin Compressor, Viair 2.5 gallon air tank, MC 3.5 Gamechanger, 6 pac shocks, MC Front Bumper with Bull Bar, Smittybilt X20 10000 lbs winch, MC Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, MC Overline Fenders, MC Rock Rail, MC Tie Rod & Draglink, MC Skid Under Armor, Toyo 37x13.50 R18 Tires, DV8 Heat Hood, Line X Coated in Copperhead Pearl & Black, KC 8” HID Lights on top, KC Gravity LED Lights on Bull bar, Rigid diffused flood lights on 4 corners, Backup Camera, KC Rock Lights, Apollo Intech switchpod. Flowmaster Exaust, K&N Air Intake.

AMcBride423

Jeep Owner
Do you guys have any follow up opinions on your Redneck Ram kits? I just lost my power steering today while wheeling. Looking to upgrade and not wanting to dish out the $2.7k for the PSC system...

tcdawg

Jeep Newb
Do you guys have any follow up opinions on your Redneck Ram kits? I just lost my power steering today while wheeling. Looking to upgrade and not wanting to dish out the $2.7k for the PSC system...
Redneck ram kit works great...but if you "lost" your power steering that means your existing(and I am assuming stock) pump went out. West Texas kit does not include a pump so you will need a new one. PSC has pumps that you can match to your ram size and will provide the proper flow.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I do not have one yet, but I can tell you that the folks I run with have all added inter coolers and most have a reservoir as well.

Down_Time

Jeep Newb
great thread. I just upgraded to the prorock44 and 37 inch Nitto Trail grapplers. I am still breaking in gears so haven't wheeled yet. Will be very interested to hear about the on road manners of the redneck ram as well. Is it twitchy, or close to factory feel...etc

FredGM

Jeep Newb
Redneck ram kit works great...but if you "lost" your power steering that means your existing(and I am assuming stock) pump went out. West Texas kit does not include a pump so you will need a new one. PSC has pumps that you can match to your ram size and will provide the proper flow.
My friend is looking at this JK with Redneck ram kit with a power steering issue. We'll check the pump when we take a closer look after we installed the suspension and tires from 4Wheelonline onto the Silverado this weekend.

I put in a redneck ram with the stock pump. It works but can be slow or hard at idel when turning fast. Either increase idel or slow your turn.
I haven't had any problems getting used to it or dealing with it.