Driveline hitting exhaust

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Well I finally got my rig up on a lift after installing the lift and front driveline. And low and behold I find another limiting factor. Aftermarket driveline hitting the exhaust. What have you all done to remedy this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedirtman

Jeep Owner
Install a limiting strap at the differential. This will keep the shaft from hitting at full frontal droop but you should maintain full droop/stuff. You will defiantly go full axle droop at Moab.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Install a limiting strap at the differential. This will keep the shaft from hitting at full frontal droop but you should maintain full droop/stuff. You will defiantly go full axle droop at Moab.
Thanks dirtman. I guess I will rig up a strap for now. I think AFE makes something to put the pipe on the backside of the crossmember.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
There are pipes and spacers out there if you have not done that yet. A couple manufacturers have them.
I thought about the spacers as a quick fix. But I’m concerned I will have contact issues with my skid. For this trip I am just going rig up a limiting strap at the pumpkin.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Any advice on where to anchor the strap would be appreciated.

thedirtman

Jeep Owner
Weld a bracket inside the frame and one to the left of the diff section. You could run it off the upper control arm bolt if you don't want to weld to the axle.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Weld a bracket inside the frame and one to the left of the diff section. You could run it off the upper control arm bolt if you don't want to weld to the axle.
Thanks buddy. See you in a few days.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
We found that an exhaust shop was able to help us move ours slightly to stop the hitting. The only time ours would slightly touch is when both front tires were completely off the ground. Noth something that would happen often enough for us to worry about it.

If you really want flex, why limit it with a strap. Hit the exhaust shop and move it slightly to fix the issue.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
We found that an exhaust shop was able to help us move ours slightly to stop the hitting. The only time ours would slightly touch is when both front tires were completely off the ground. Noth something that would happen often enough for us to worry about it.

If you really want flex, why limit it with a strap. Hit the exhaust shop and move it slightly to fix the issue.
Timing is my biggest thing right now. I’m just running out of hours(and [emoji385]) before we leave out Tuesday evening.

Definitely something to look into when we return. If I can just move it to the back side of the crossmember I should be good.

87FoRunner

Jeep Owner
Not that it helps now, but when I did a long arm and coil over installation we cut the loop out and installed flex pipe to make a ride...it has held up to thousands of miles and hundreds of high(er) speed off road jaints and hasn’t come undone.

It was supposed to be temporary but ummm he hasn’t cared to fix it.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Not that it helps now, but when I did a long arm and coil over installation we cut the loop out and installed flex pipe to make a ride...it has held up to thousands of miles and hundreds of high(er) speed off road jaints and hasn’t come undone.

It was supposed to be temporary but ummm he hasn’t cared to fix it.

Interesting. Might be an option. When we flexed at the cracks and again at the CTI trailer it didn’t contact. It’s only when both wheels droop at the same time. With that said it’s barely touching.

87FoRunner

Jeep Owner
Trac bar shift hitting it. No biggie but will only get worse the more travel you unleash :(

LandonC

Supporting Vendor
The driver line will make contact with the exhaust but only when the jeep is on a car lift or you jump the Jeep. Normal Day to day wheeling the drive shaft shouldn't make contact and if it does it should be minimal.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
The driver line will make contact with the exhaust but only when the jeep is on a car lift or you jump the Jeep. Normal Day to day wheeling the drive shaft shouldn't make contact and if it does it should be minimal.
It’s barely touching it. Not enough to do anything about it. But when I start to make more upgrades, I am going to have to address it. Anymore down travel and it will become a problem.