Looking for input on aftermarket exhaust

whataboutbob

Jeep Newb
Looking to add a cat back system to my 2012. I'd like to be able to hear it but not annoying, I've run Banks on other vehicles and been happy, any input would be appreciated

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
My advice, don't do it. They sound like a Honda Civic with a coffee can for a muffler.

IF, you really wanted to, look at Magnaflow. Made in the USA and you can get all stainless.

Copasspupil

Jeep Owner
I have what appears to be like a dual exhaust. It’s ok but I’m getting rid of it as I’m going with a 6.2 instead.

mclerran11

Jeep Owner
I had a magna flow on my last jeep and really, really loved it. It was whisper quiet, added a decent amount of power and mpg, and was tucked up enough out of the way that I didn’t worry about it dragging on the rocks when I was off road. I am in a new JK Rubicon now, and will absolutely be looking to Add something similar once I get the other upgrades I want done

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I had a magna flow on my last jeep and really, really loved it. It was whisper quiet, added a decent amount of power and mpg, and was tucked up enough out of the way that I didn’t worry about it dragging on the rocks when I was off road. I am in a new JK Rubicon now, and will absolutely be looking to Add something similar once I get the other upgrades I want done
Which Magnaflo did you have? My dynomax sounds great but hangs a little low and it has been taking a beating on the rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katswuy

Jeep Newb
The Dominion Off-Road cat back we put on my son-in-laws JK sounds better than the American Thunder one we put on my wife's JK. The American Thunder is louder and a bit ricey under acceleration.

Last edited:

The NotARubicon

Jeep Owner
We added one of the smaller Magaflows and tucked it up under the rear passenger door so it doesnt get in the way. It sounds GREAT (we get a lot of compliments), but be warned, it did sound like a fart-can for about the first 500 miles.. I took it back a day or two after having it installed and demanded they remove it but my Jeep guy assured me that after 400-500 miles it wouldn't sound like a rice-burner and he was right.

juniormb

Jeep Newb
I am running the Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back for about a year, it is a crawler version the keeps out of the way. So far no damage from the rocks. Stays tucked up about the frame rails.
Flowmaster Exhaust.jpg

Nosduj

Jeep Newb
I’m running the dynomax ultra flo on my jk, it sounds fantastic and is tucked away under the Jeep with a turndown. Bonus is that it’s super cheap

DuckTapeJoe

Jeep Newb
I loved the MBRP off road only on my 07. I also had the JBA long tube headers. Together they were super loud if that is what you are looking for.

seppyc

Jeep Newb
I've looked into "kits" and then single mufflers. Honestly, I think you can just chop out the muffler and slide in a universal whatever in it's place. I'm looking for the non-rice sounding coffee can. How does the flowmaster sound?

mclerran11

Jeep Owner
I had a magnaflow on my 2008 Sahara and loved it. The day I bought it my kids asked “dad, did you convert the Jeep to an electric vehicle??? How come it’s so quiet??”

I’m in 2017 Recon now, magnaflow is on my list after the other goodies in line ahead of it get installed.

MischiefMaker

Jeep Owner
Thought I might post this here before asking in my build thread.

Has anyone had any experience with the Dynomax 39522 Ultra Flo Polished Stainless Steel Cat-Back System?

I want something that isn't too loud and ends ahead of the rear axle.

rubicon4wheeler

Jeep Newb
I like having a quiet exhaust, not only so I can enjoy music or the sounds of nature, but also because V6's simply do not sound good. If I had a V8, I'd be interested in hearing the engine, but I do not want to listen to a V6 drone.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Thought I might post this here before asking in my build thread.

Has anyone had any experience with the Dynomax 39522 Ultra Flo Polished Stainless Steel Cat-Back System?

I want something that isn't too loud and ends ahead of the rear axle.
That is what I am running. It’s not too loud, but since it’s in front of the axle you hear it a lot more than a rear dump. My biggest problem with it was that it hangs a little below the frame. As you can see from the pic up above it didn’t fair too well with 37’s and stock height. Look at a couple of my videos on YouTube and you can hear how loud it is.