JKU Rear Sway Bar

Pthorpe84

Staff member
How much will the Jeep change if I remove my rear sway bar? I’m wanting to do this before the MJ Adventure, but I don’t want to create big problems. I’m running a 3.5” game changer with rocksports. I appreciate any real world feed back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pthorpe84

Staff member
No body? Come on. I will give you a hug for a response....

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
We took ours off on the JK when lifted. I never had it on lifted so I cannot tell you the difference.

My suggestion, remove it and try it for a while. There are only six bolts holding it on.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
We took ours off on the JK when lifted. I never had it on lifted so I cannot tell you the difference.

My suggestion, remove it and try it for a while. There are only six bolts holding it on.
May give it a shot. Could be something I do here before heading to Moab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedirtman

Jeep Owner
Leave the rear on, you really don’t gain anything and you will be more stable on off camber stuff and on the highway.

mrwildebeast

Jeep Owner
You can take it off with minimal impact, but depends on what other mitigation you did, And don't go thinking you can still run 90mph on the freeway

Pthorpe84

Staff member
You can take it off with minimal impact, but depends on what other mitigation you did, And don't go thinking you can still run 90mph on the freeway
I couldn’t afford the gas to go 90 mph lmao!

I decided to just leave it on. I didn’t see any restriction while running it last week. I will eventually replace it with a anti-rock.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I been wondering the same thing. I’m also headed toward the Anti-Rock.
I think it’s the best option. It’s also the one upgrade I have seen on all crawlers. Dirtman has a cool ass set up on his. I would like to see his all twisted up. Guy made all obstacles looks too easy.

mgsk816

Jeep Newb
I took my rear sway bar off about 3 months ago. I have gone though several winding mountain passes without any issues. I don't plan on putting my rear sway bar back on. I have also seen a rear sway bar destroy a hard brake line.

seppyc

Jeep Newb
I'm leaving it on. My rear wheels get decent travel, even with the stock suspension. If i come into some cash, maybe I'll go with the antirock.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I took my rear sway bar off about 3 months ago. I have gone though several winding mountain passes without any issues. I don't plan on putting my rear sway bar back on. I have also seen a rear sway bar destroy a hard brake line.
That is one thing that makes me nervous about keeping mine on. But I think if you just trim the bolt that connects the bar to the link arms down flush, you will prevent it from getting into your brake lines.

gingerempire

Jeep Newb
I have some steinjager rear disconnects. I disconnected for the metalcloak CTI earlier this year, and I asked Cory about it. I think he estimated the difference of about 30-40 pts (hard to remember exact at this point).

At the time, I was running 3.5" gamechanger with rocksports, factory flares all around, 3 bump front/2bump rear, 315/70r 17 tires. I scored an 860...basically maxed in my current setup, since I didn't have any to-do recommendations from Cory.

Some trail runs, I disconnect them. Some, I don't. Just depends how much off-camber stuff there is and if I want to deal with more roll.