Wheel spacers...

Snowblind

Jeep Owner
I know this has probably been asked a million times, but my search didn't give me any information.

I want to keep my stock Rubi wheels, but after I do my lift and up size my tires, wheel spacers will be a must.

While looking online, I find reputable name dealers selling spacers from $60 - $100+ for a pair. Then, names I'm not as familiar with, going for $60 - $100 for a full set (4).

All claim to be made from the same grade aluminum, and hardened studs (grade 8 or 10.9). So I'm totally confused.

What's a good spacer for the money, not just a name??

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I know this has probably been asked a million times, but my search didn't give me any information.

I want to keep my stock Rubi wheels, but after I do my lift and up size my tires, wheel spacers will be a must.

While looking online, I find reputable name dealers selling spacers from $60 - $100+ for a pair. Then, names I'm not as familiar with, going for $60 - $100 for a full set (4).

All claim to be made from the same grade aluminum, and hardened studs (grade 8 or 10.9). So I'm totally confused.

What's a good spacer for the money, not just a name??

Thanks for any help!

Honestly I don’t see why the eBay/Amazon versions wouldn’t work. The only thing I would be concerned with is that the Chinese brands may not have the quality they state in their description. Stay with American made and don’t have any doubts. Only way to go in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowblind

Jeep Owner
Honestly I don’t see why the eBay/Amazon versions wouldn’t work. The only thing I would be concerned with is that the Chinese brands may not have the quality they state in their description. Stay with American made and don’t have any doubts. Only way to go in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm not going with eBay/no name spacers. I pulled the trigger on a set of rough country. I talked to a Jeep guy locally, and he said they're the most beefy spacers he's seen. He said most failures happen around the outside, and can crack if the aluminum is thin. Well, these are very thick, and use good grade 8 hardware to boot.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Yeah, I'm not going with eBay/no name spacers. I pulled the trigger on a set of rough country. I talked to a Jeep guy locally, and he said they're the most beefy spacers he's seen. He said most failures happen around the outside, and can crack if the aluminum is thin. Well, these are very thick, and use good grade 8 hardware to boot.

I would just keep an eye on them. You will prolly never have an issue, but I would definitely do routine inspections.....especially after a wheeling trip. Post up a pic of the rig. Maybe a before and after. Would love to see the new stance.

Copasspupil

Jeep Owner
Agreed spider makes the best. Their design is far superior to others by material, design, and finish. Do you know the backspacing of the rubi’s? I just did this for my aftermarket rims that were in my Jeep when I bought them. Metalcloak was very good about making sure it would work and informed me that I need 1.5” spacers for mine. You need to buy 2 sets so for every wheel. They are more expensive but worth it

katswuy

Jeep Newb
They MUST be WHEEL centric and HUB centric. Spidertrax are both. If they are hub/wheel centric, then Discount Tire/Americas Tire will work on your rig, if they are not....no go.

The NotARubicon

Jeep Owner
Whatever you do, make sure you get the right length studs!
When we put ours on, the studs were 1/16" too long and were butting up against the rims.. after about 50 miles, the studs had rubbed their way into the rims, making the rims loose, and we had a wheel fly off going around a corner!
Only took a few minutes to grind down all the studs, but I'm still traumatized.

87FoRunner

Jeep Owner
Another vote for Rough Country. I have had mine for 8 years with zero problems. Only took them off a few months back when I got beadlocks.

mgsk816

Jeep Newb
I have been running Alloy USA wheel spacer for almost 2 years now without any issues. I don't think that wheel spacers are something that you want to cheap out on, but if anything make sure that you get hub centric spacers.

RS1191

Jeep Newb
I’d recommend Spidertrax as well. I had 1.5s on my previous 2012 Rubi for over two years with no issue and now have 1.75s on my 2018 Willy’s. Worth the money.

seppyc

Jeep Newb
I heard that spidertrax are very good as well as Bora. I wouldnt' want to take a chance on anything ebay.

DesertRaider

Jeep Newb
I would personally avoid wheel spacers if it all possible to give less stress on outer hub/ bearing units. Just my .02 cents

katswuy

Jeep Newb
I agree, wheel spacers will put more stress on the hub/bearing units as well as other components, however, the stress will be the same if you put wheels on with less backspacing. Often spacers are the only solution if the wheels you want don't have the proper backspacing to keep the tires from rubbing during articulation and/or steering. Do use red loctite on the studs connecting the spacer to the hub. Do use hub centric and wheel centric spacers. Be aware that to remove the spacers for brake rotor maintenance you will probably need to heat the lug nuts to remove them with that loctite on.

cyberfalco

Jeep Newb
Pick up a set (5) studs and lugs to keep around just in case from the same company you bought the spacers. Good call staying with OEM wheels. They are plentiful if you ever need to replace one. Rotate your tire every oil change and torque those spacer lugs.