Breather tubes

Pthorpe84

Staff member
What are you all using to extend your breather tubes after lifting? Also, where are you all running them to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
What are you all using to extend your breather tubes after lifting? Also, where are you all running them to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We use fuel line or oil rated line for the diffs. We highly suggest replacing all the line and not using extensions. They can break and ruin a trip. What other breathers are you extending?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
We use fuel line or oil rated line for the diffs. We highly suggest replacing all the line and not using extensions. They can break and ruin a trip. What other breathers are you extending?

Just the axle tubes. At full droop they disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Just the axle tubes. At full droop they disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you go to your automotive store, ask to go back and look at the tubing. Some fuel line is more flexible that the vacuum line. In your case, try to match up what you have and fuel line is most likely going to be it. Don't buy the end of the roll.

SSinGA

Jeep Fanatic
10 feet of 5/16th fuel line and 2 small hose clamps.

Ran the front up under the hood next to the cowl and the rear into the taillight cavity.

Last edited:

El Sanchimoto

Jeep Owner
Should one also extend the breather tube on the transmission (auto)?
When I did the breathers on my 2015 JKUR I found front & rear diffs, and transfer case. I never found a breather for the transmission so I asked the mechanics at a CDJR dealership and got 2 different answers, one being that the breather was built in to the transmission dipstick tube. So I asked just that on this forum (a few years ago) and cloaked willy's agreed that it could be possible that the auto trans breather is the trans fluid level dipstick.

If anyone out there knows conclusively one way or the other please chime in.

Last edited:

TJDon

Wrench guy
Agree with using fuel hose. Regular vacuum hose will swell with the oil vapor. Those bellows are pretty sweet also

LoneWolf

Jeep Newb
At the risk of hijacking this thread, how have others managed to reach the termination end of the transmission breather tube? From underneath, it appears to disappear behind the engine. I've done my axles, but can't get to the tranny tube.

El Sanchimoto

Jeep Owner
At the risk of hijacking this thread, how have others managed to reach the termination end of the transmission breather tube? From underneath, it appears to disappear behind the engine. I've done my axles, but can't get to the tranny tube.
I am not positive on your auto transmission. On the newer 3.6L autos the transmission breather seems to be incorporated into the transmission dipstick tube. Are you certain you can feel/see a breather line?

LoneWolf

Jeep Newb
I am not positive on your auto transmission. On the newer 3.6L autos the transmission breather seems to be incorporated into the transmission dipstick tube. Are you certain you can feel/see a breather line?
Yes, crawling underneath the rig, I can find the tube at the transmission, but as you follow it up, it disappears between the fire wall and the engine. I've read where others have had trouble finding them on 3.8Ls; was hoping someone here might've found a trick to locating it.

El Sanchimoto

Jeep Owner
Yes, crawling underneath the rig, I can find the tube at the transmission, but as you follow it up, it disappears between the fire wall and the engine. I've read where others have had trouble finding them on 3.8Ls; was hoping someone here might've found a trick to locating it.
Gotcha, I do recall that as well now that I think back to a couple of years ago when I was researching doing mine. I do recall reading about the transmission line running up between the engine and firewall and being a PITA to deal with, but now I cant find any of those threads that I looked at.

So if you can see where it exits the transmission, what if you simply ran a new breather line and routed it your own way, then simply cut off as much of the slack as you can from the OE line?

LoneWolf

Jeep Newb
Gotcha, I do recall that as well now that I think back to a couple of years ago when I was researching doing mine. I do recall reading about the transmission line running up between the engine and firewall and being a PITA to deal with, but now I cant find any of those threads that I looked at.

So if you can see where it exits the transmission, what if you simply ran a new breather line and routed it your own way, then simply cut off as much of the slack as you can from the OE line?
I've considered that. So far, my OCD nature, combined with the fact that I rarely see any water crossings in my wheeling area, has prevented me from leaving an unused piece of hose there. But, that's exactly the route I may follow one of these days.