Ask The Expert- New clutch, now 3rd gear is grinding

Topher

Jeep Owner
Back in November 2017 I paid a shop to install a new clutch on our 2000 TJ. We got about 125,000 miles out of the original clutch. I would have done the install myself, but I didn't have enough time for an upcoming trip. My fear is that something was missed or not done correctly.

Since the install, I started having issues going into 3rd gear. I realized I grind 3rd when switching gears quickly. I asked my wife if she had any issues which she reported no. After a while I noticed that I'd grind 3rd even if not shifting fast. One afternoon in the Jeep with my wife driving and it happened to her. She said that was the first time. I'm now to the point where I consciously think about shifting into 3rd so that I don't grind it. Does anyone know what is happening? I'd like to know what to address so that I don't cause further damage.

At first this was only happening while shifting up. I've had it happen about 3 times while down shifting.

Todd Ockert

On my 2004 TJ with the NV3550 transmission, shifting into 3rd has never been completely smooth.
Mine has always had a little grind or more of a hesitation on the move from 2nd to 3rd.

No speed shifting can happen with my Jeep.

If it is getting worse, though, like Pthorpe mentioned, could be the synchro's also getting worn.

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
On my 2004 TJ with the NV3550 transmission, shifting into 3rd has never been completely smooth.
Mine has always had a little grind or more of a hesitation on the move from 2nd to 3rd.

No speed shifting can happen with my Jeep.

If it is getting worse, though, like Pthorpe mentioned, could be the synchro's also getting worn.

Todd
Not this guy! That’s all Cloaked there! Lol. But I do concur. Synchros could be worn. Sometimes replacing a part reveals another issue that has to be addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk