TJ build Project Shoestring

JeepnDel

Administrator
Staff member
My TJ used to be more overlanding friendly with the roof rack, and in the day, a back rack over tire type. Now that I have skinnied up my jeep, I usually pull a trailer when I overland.

jeep compare_ig.jpg

TJDon

Wrench guy
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180902/671be2f690f9a9cd3226d25092fe0c7d.jpg[/
Couple more upgrades. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180902/c4ce98da096a1fbe08de7e43f3dfede0.jpg

Metalcloak rocker protection
Metalcloak accessory mount for the Rotopax
Highlift jack
RAM mount for the tablet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJDon

Wrench guy

And a Dana 44 and disc brake upgrade. Scored the housing in a trade. I Geared it to 4.88’s with track lok carrier. Buddy gave me the ARB cover (thanks Scott with Cloakworks)
Finally get rid of the Dana 35!

Then onto finding a cheap high pinion Dana 30 out of a XJ and get that built. Granted it’s still a 30, but the XJ has a larger ring gear and a bit tougher being a reverse cut gear set. Can’t afford a front 44, but this Jeep will never be doing hardcore trails

Last edited:

TJDon

Wrench guy
Been playing a bit more. Added rear lighting. Really pleased how the KC flood led pods light up inside the back. I’ll run the wiring different down the rack eventually.

TJDon

Wrench guy

Picked up a fold away table. Pretty slick and tight when folded up. No rattles

TJDon

Wrench guy
Nice table.
Someone else makes one.
I just checked out their site.
Not a bad price on the table either.

Todd
I looked at the single table ones and they were cheaper priced. But having a TJ, more use space the better lol

Todd Ockert

A single table one I am sure I could make pretty easy.
Aluminum angle and aluminum sheets cut to size.

Buying this one would save me the time of building one though.

Nice setup on your TJ.

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I need to do the table thing once I move my air tank from the tailgate. I’m a fan of the RSE one you got. The double shelf is quite nice.

TJDon

Wrench guy

Made use of the TJ this weekend finally. Just a overnight trip to do a shake down run. Definitely need to have better organization! My OCD was going nuts. And the smittybilt tent pad is horrible, I’ll be looking for more padding in future trips. All and all though, my daughter and I had a great time.

TJDon

Wrench guy
And I also need to pick up a ladder extension. Fortunately there was a big bolder to set the ladder on

TJDon

Wrench guy
Being I’ve been of work for the last 4 months, I’ve had a lot of tinker time. Removed some trim stuff and repainted, painted the upper soft door window fabric. They were faded pretty bad. Installed neoprene seat covers.
The stock Dana 30 & 35 had always been a concern to get them replaced with diffs that are much more reliable. I had the rear 44 for a while built and ready to go in. And had originally was going to replace the front with a slightly stronger high pinion 30 out of an XJ. I dragged home a HP 30 and of course a couple days later I found a unicorn of a deal off Facebook marketplace, a Rubicon Dana 44 housing. Guy was asking $250 for it. After messaging back and forth about it and coming to find out we had mutual friends, I picked it up for $150. 4 1/2 round trip drive to Carson City I have what I really wanted but normally couldn’t afford one. (Project shoestring still on track!!).
Stuffed a limited slip carrier and 4.88’s into it and finally made time to swap ‘em out. Rear disc brake upgrade is nice too.

Attachments

TJDon

Wrench guy
Made a remote power source bank. 12v, USB and battery voltage monitor and added in my rear cargo light switch
I need to find some grey carpet to cover the wood. Would look a bit better
9E775070-00EE-4B16-B314-E71A9F15963F.jpeg

TJDon

Wrench guy
Took a road trip up to Gardnerville Nevada a couple weeks ago. Went with a buddy in his ram 2500 power wagon with a 4wheel pop up camper.
Went out a dirt road called China Springs rd down to the Carson river. It was COLD!!!! But we had a great time. Nothing hardcore, mud was definitely a factor. I wish we would of had one more day to make it to the natural hot spring tub. RTT did great. Still struggling with organization. Hopefully get that fixed up one of these days

Attachments