Brakes lock on!

RM1953

Jeep Newb
This has happened to me a few times when wheeling and once when launching my boat. The brake pedal goes stiff and disconnecting the battery reset things. This also wipes out any codes so the last time it happened I used my Superchips Flashcal to clear the codes which it did so fast I didn't get the code nos. but there was reference to left and right headlight issues. I run JW Speaker led's without problem generally and whatever the problem is I have so far been unable to replicate it as it is so intermittent. Next time I will get the code no's before the Flashcal wipes them out but I am curious if anyone has had the same experience with a gremlin like this! I have taken it to the dealership and they were stumped also.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
So that I understand...your entire brake system locks up and the only way to get them to release is to disconnect the battery. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RM1953

Jeep Newb
Yes I did a disconnect and then have since used the Flashcal to erase codes that then freed the brakes.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Yes I did a disconnect and then have since used the Flashcal to erase codes that then freed the brakes.
Man that is super odd. Maybe one of the guys have an answer. Surely it has to do with the stability control or the computer itself.

RM1953

Jeep Newb
Found a tech who knows his stuff! ABS module was bad and replaced on warranty. Had to come back to my dealer in Canada to get it fixed. I had taken it to a Jeep dealer in Casa Grande but they wouldn't touch it because it had a lift kit. Go figure!

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Found a tech who knows his stuff! ABS module was bad and replaced on warranty. Had to come back to my dealer in Canada to get it fixed. I had taken it to a Jeep dealer in Casa Grande but they wouldn't touch it because it had a lift kit. Go figure!
Unreal that a dealer would be that picky. Thanks for the update. This will save us all a bunch of time if it ever happens to us.

Happy Easter