modernjeeper
Kicker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What is this...and why?

So I was watching Artecs walk around video and I donít completely understand the Center Axle Disconnect. Seems like a horrible move and the part is in an area that gets the crap beat out of it.

Is this supposed to act similar to lock out hubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 JKU Hard Rock, 3.5" Game Changer-Rock Sport, 37" Toyo M/T, Overline Fenders, M/C Full Stinger Bumper, GenRight Fusion Rear Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, M/C Rock Sliders, Warn Power Plant HD, Viair Constant Duty with Tank, 17" ATX Slabs, Evo Skid Plates, Cheap Chinese Lights, Factor 55 Flat Link, ApolloIntec Switch Pod, 48" Hi-Lift, Dynomax Exhaust

https://www.instagram.com/4lotested/

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone?

2015 JKU Hard Rock, 3.5" Game Changer-Rock Sport, 37" Toyo M/T, Overline Fenders, M/C Full Stinger Bumper, GenRight Fusion Rear Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, M/C Rock Sliders, Warn Power Plant HD, Viair Constant Duty with Tank, 17" ATX Slabs, Evo Skid Plates, Cheap Chinese Lights, Factor 55 Flat Link, ApolloIntec Switch Pod, 48" Hi-Lift, Dynomax Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like
    It's due to cafe standards and don't worry we ( Artec Industries) got you covered already with out CAD Shield pics below are raw they will be powdercoated !

http://www.artecindustries.com/JL_Shield

Artec Industries Come see us at www.artecindustries.com for truss's armor, axle swap kits and more !

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Artec, but what exactly does it do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pthorpe84 View Post
    Thanks Artec, but what exactly does it do?
    It is a central axle disconnect , What it does is there is a electronic servo that slides a fork over connecting the 2 piece axle shaft on the passenger side . making it so the front driveshaft does not spin and outter on passenger side doesn't spin creating less drag. AKA thank Uncle Sam for requiring Fleet averages with Cafe standards and fuel economy .

Our new JL SHIELD is HEAVY DUTY 1/4" thick steel...twice the thickness of the OEM skid plate. The design also uses countersunk flat head bolts for improved smoothness on the bottom...meaning you'll have less edges to catch on rocks. To improve the smoothness, we've eliminated unnecessary edges and extended the leading edge to the front of the axle and included an angled flange to protect the axle and allow rocks to glide under
    Artec Industries Come see us at www.artecindustries.com for truss's armor, axle swap kits and more !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Artec View Post
    It is a central axle disconnect , What it does is there is a electronic servo that slides a fork over connecting the 2 piece axle shaft on the passenger side . making it so the front driveshaft does not spin and outter on passenger side doesn't spin creating less drag. AKA thank Uncle Sam for requiring Fleet averages with Cafe standards and fuel economy .
    Thanks Artec for the clarification. Yeah you have to love these damn regulations.

Seems like this would create a serious weak point in the axles shaft. Not to mention I would imagine this will cause havoc when someone finally tries to do a Junkyard build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Artec for the clarification. Yeah you have to love these damn regulations.

Seems like this would create a serious weak point in the axles shaft. Not to mention I would imagine this will cause havoc when someone finally tries to do a Junkyard build.

Im sure Yukon, RCV, and others will have a upgrade for it , Along with Reid for the Aluminum Knuckles. I am happy its not the horrible Vacuum system of the YJ era !

8. Thanks Pthorpe84 thanked for this post
    Likes okslim liked this post
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

The weak point will be there no doubt, especially with larger tires. But even worse, in my area, that will get dunked in water full of sand and mud. Over time it will break from internal damage, with a guard or without. When you need 4x4, someday it will not happen. KISS is no longer. I have to ask, why not just do auto locking hubs like the F250/F350 Fords. Easy to repair when needed and are proven. They would do the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The weak point will be there no doubt, especially with larger tires. But even worse, in my area, that will get dunked in water full of sand and mud. Over time it will break from internal damage, with a guard or without. When you need 4x4, someday it will not happen. KISS is no longer. I have to ask, why not just do auto locking hubs like the F250/F350 Fords. Easy to repair when needed and are proven. They would do the same thing.
    The ram powerwagon has had it for a few years with no issues Mopar does have an upgrade from what I've heard last night

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Artec View Post
    The ram powerwagon has had it for a few years with no issues Mopar does have an upgrade from what I've heard last night
    But what about 5 to 10 years from now? Also, why would Mopar already have an upgrade for it? Failing on the Powerwagon already? Automatic with manual locks for hubs has been out forever... Just do that.