modernjeeper
Raceline
    Jeep Owner
    Post Thanks / Like

What to look for when purchasing a used JKU

Hello all,

I've got a friend that is looking to purchased a used JKU in the Dallas, TX area. She has a $20k budget. I wanted to know if y'all can give me some advise as to what to look for or what to stay away from. I believe her plan to is to drive it for the next 3 years and then hand it over to her son. Any help is appreciated.

Topher
    Original owner 2000 TJ Wrangler 4.0L with a 5 speed - Dana 44 with 3.73 gears
    MC 3.5 short arm with RockSport steering stabilizer
    MC gas tank skid plate
    Front Diff Gruad - fourxdoctor (my first mod back in 2002)
    Unique 15" rims with ProComp 31x10.50 tires (yes they are tiny, stop staring)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Metalcloak Adventures

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, look for one with the 3.6L engine in it. The 3.8 was a dog and I believe it also had a head recall.

Check the CarFax. Jeeps are tough to buy used because so many things can happen to them. I have seen more Jeeps in my area have the engine rebuilt or replaced because it had ingested water.

Have it looked at by a mechanic if you are not good with cars. If it does not drive like a normal car, I would have the bushings in the control arms and the ball joints checked.

These vehicles can be expensive to repair if you get the wrong one.

Watch out for Jeeps from the floods we have had with the Hurricanes.

Jeep Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure the heater on the driver side blows good hot heat. If not it could have the dreaded engine mold sand clogging it up. $1,100.00 repair bill if done by Jeep to replace the heater core. Not an easy task. Should have been recalled IMHO.

Jeep Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look for something as stock as possible. That way she isn't buying someone else's failed build. Lessons from buying my Jeep- if you can't find a rubicon, try and find something with the 3.73 axles. I've got a JK with a 2.5 lift, manual transmission, and "almost 33's". If I'm driving into a head wind? Forgetaboutit. I feel like I have to lean forward to get as much power as I can. We'll be regearing shortly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would tell you to get under the rig and look for signs of abuse and wheeling. Not that it means anything is wrong with it, but the chances are higher. Pull on the front tires. Listen for popping or excessive movement. Could need ball joints. Get a 3.6. The 2012ís had an oil issue I believe. Make sure the 4WD works. If it looks wheeled, you may want to follow the jeep down the road and look to see if the rear wheels move side to side. Could mean a bent flange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 JKU Hard Rock, No Lift, 37" Goodyear MTR-K, Metal Cloak Full Stinger Bumper, GenRight Fusion Rear Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, Metal Cloak Rock Sliders, Warn Power Plant HD, Viair Constant Duty with Tank, 17" ATX Slabs, Evo Skid Plates, Cheap Chinese Lights, Factor 55 Flat Link, ApolloIntec Switch Pod, 48" Hi-Lift, Dynomax Exhaust, Custom Pin Stripping by Mother Nature

https://www.instagram.com/4lotested/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggaHappy View Post
    Make sure the heater on the driver side blows good hot heat. If not it could have the dreaded engine mold sand clogging it up. $1,100.00 repair bill if done by Jeep to replace the heater core. Not an easy task. Should have been recalled IMHO.
    What year had these issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 JKU Hard Rock, No Lift, 37" Goodyear MTR-K, Metal Cloak Full Stinger Bumper, GenRight Fusion Rear Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, Metal Cloak Rock Sliders, Warn Power Plant HD, Viair Constant Duty with Tank, 17" ATX Slabs, Evo Skid Plates, Cheap Chinese Lights, Factor 55 Flat Link, ApolloIntec Switch Pod, 48" Hi-Lift, Dynomax Exhaust, Custom Pin Stripping by Mother Nature

https://www.instagram.com/4lotested/

Jeep Owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately my friend with an actual car, boring. I will keep this advise in mind when searching for the next rig.
    Original owner 2000 TJ Wrangler 4.0L with a 5 speed - Dana 44 with 3.73 gears
    MC 3.5 short arm with RockSport steering stabilizer
    MC gas tank skid plate
    Front Diff Gruad - fourxdoctor (my first mod back in 2002)
    Unique 15" rims with ProComp 31x10.50 tires (yes they are tiny, stop staring)