Differential cover painting

AnvilX

Jeep Owner
I have a new Metalcloak differential cover. I want to paint it like on the website photo. Any tips. Did you paint it by hand or tape it off to get the red and Black?

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
I did not paint that, but I plan to paint the Build Jeeps covers like that when they come.

Here is my game plan.
1. Tape off the back of the cover so no paint can get back there.
2. Lightly scuff the exterior.
3. Prime with self-etching primer - dark

- Notice in the picture there is two textures? The black is rough and the red is smooth?

4. Paint everything with four light coats of satin black. Everything should be covered well.
5. Let Dry for a few days
6. Tape off all the black areas with painters tape only leaving open the M
7. Lightly scuff/smooth the M area
8. Paint two coats or gloss red.
9. wait 30 minutes and carefully remove the tape.
10. Let Dry

Griffin

Jeep Owner
I did not paint that, but I plan to paint the Build Jeeps covers like that when they come.

Here is my game plan.
1. Tape off the back of the cover so no paint can get back there.
2. Lightly scuff the exterior.
3. Prime with self-etching primer - dark

- Notice in the picture there is two textures? The black is rough and the red is smooth?

4. Paint everything with four light coats of satin black. Everything should be covered well.
5. Let Dry for a few days
6. Tape off all the black areas with painters tape only leaving open the M
7. Lightly scuff/smooth the M area
8. Paint two coats or gloss red.
9. wait 30 minutes and carefully remove the tape.
10. Let Dry
Thank you for that SBS. I have to assume there is still some talent that comes into play in getting it to look like the picture.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I have a new Metalcloak differential cover. I want to paint it like on the website photo. Any tips. Did you paint it by hand or tape it off to get the red and Black?
First prime the entire cover, then paint the entire diff black. Then I would use some Blue 3m tape and cover the diff with it, then use an razor blade to cut out the "M". Apply a coat or two of red paint to the "M". Rattle cans should work fine.

AnvilX

Jeep Owner

Thanks for the awesome advice. I sanded, primed with yellow zinc primer, paint RD it black, taped off the M, sanded and primed again, and panted the red M. It turned out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryC6

Jeep Newb
I had mine powder coated black the used a scotch brite pad to scuff up the raised portion. Then I had the paint shop mix up some pin stripping paint and hand painted the raised portion. Pin stripping paint covers in a single coat and is very tough.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I had mine powder coated black the used a scotch brite pad to scuff up the raised portion. Then I had the paint shop mix up some pin stripping paint and hand painted the raised portion. Pin stripping paint covers in a single coat and is very tough.
Any pics?

AnvilX

Jeep Owner
I finally put it on. Now to scratch it on some rocks.[emoji6]
https://uploads.tap

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Anyone have issues getting the supplied fill plugs completely screwed down. Mind all had about a 3/16” lip sticking out. Tried to remove the red thread crap that was on them, but it still didn’t help.

AnvilX

Jeep Owner
Anyone have issues getting the supplied fill plugs completely screwed down. Mind all had about a 3/16” lip sticking out. Tried to remove the red thread crap that was on them, but it still didn’t help.

Yes, I did have that issue. I would tighten the screw and then back it out a bit and get some of the red stuff off. Then it would screw in more. The bottom one I did first. I actually stripped out the Alan hole because I was trying to screw it in farther. It sticks out a little, the others are flush. I grinded some of the screw down. I will probably have to grind the rest of on the rocks.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I will have to mess with mine this weekend when we finish the gears. I hate how far it sticks out.

AnvilX

Jeep Owner
That sounds like a great idea! Pictures please,