2004 tj next step

Tyjedre16

Jeep Owner
Looking to install a ford 8.8 lsd and lp d30 4.10 gears along with a metalcloak 3.5" lift kit and teraflex sye in a few weeks. was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to make life easier or anything else i should do while im under there. also what kind of differential oil do you use in your jeep?

Offigojpn

Jeep Owner
Do the super short sye just in case you ever decide to tuck the tummy. You’ll need a Dakota Digital box ($80 amazon) if you go super short. Consider rebuilding the TC too while your there (only if never been done). Use JB conversions if you do. I got the cheap Novak kit and one of the bearings went out literally a few miles down the road and they wouldn’t give me the time of day let alone a new bearing. It also leaks worse now at the main shaft seal than it did before i replaced it. Good luck and happy Building. Also get the double adjustable uppers. You be glad you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offigojpn

Jeep Owner
Also a get a big ratchet strap for manipulation of the axle during instal and alignment (driveway style). It took me some hours of cursing before I figured that one out. Made life super easy after that.

Tyjedre16

Jeep Owner
Do the super short sye just in case you ever decide to tuck the tummy. You’ll need a Dakota Digital box ($80 amazon) if you go super short. Consider rebuilding the TC too while your there (only if never been done). Use JB conversions if you do. I got the cheap Novak kit and one of the bearings went out literally a few miles down the road and they wouldn’t give me the time of day let alone a new bearing. It also leaks worse now at the main shaft seal than it did before i replaced it. Good luck and happy Building. Also get the double adjustable uppers. You be glad you did.

will i need the dakota box immediately? i use a gps for speed since my speedometer is off already

Tyjedre16

Jeep Owner
And am i better off pulling the axles with all the control arms connected to them still? since im doing the lift with new arms and everything? then also do you suggest arms in frame first to help line up axle?

Offigojpn

Jeep Owner
Your jeep, assuming not a rubicon, uses a wheel speed sensor. If you have larger tires then you will need a different wheel. These are cheap and quadratec or others have a chart to use for what to order. When you go to a super short sye the speedo becomes a hall affect sensor and a Dakota box or Tuner is needed.
Based on the quality of lift and other mods being added I would go the extra step and add the SUper Short SYE.

As for installing the lift: follow the MC instructions and watch YouTube videos. Don't take the axles off if you don't have to. I did only cause I rebuilt them at the same time. Just install them a section at a time (top front, bottom front, etc). I set my bottoms control arm lengths to the MCs longest suggested length range and then adjuested the tops for proper driveshaft angles. Speaking of, I got front and rear Adams Driveshafts and really like them.

Offigojpn

Jeep Owner
I did instal the control arms first to the frame but it doesn't really matter. Either way you'll be using a second set of hand or ratchet strap to manipulate the axles to get the control arms holes to line up. I used ratchet strap and driftpin tool since I was solo.
I set the jeep in the air with jack stands on the frame one end at a time. I made sure NOT to be under the jeep when just having jack stands. I would also add a bottle jack/wooden blocks (two methods of support) to bumper or another part of frame up front/rear. Many people die by being crushed.

Tyjedre16

Jeep Owner
a buddy of mine is allowing me to use his lift while hes away and going to have another buddy there to help me maneuver things and i have the teraflex extreme short sye. also axles will be swapped at same time as lift install so going to pull them, install control arms on the frame, install new axles, then install rest of lift and yes after i install everything im going to be ordering a new rear ds from them

AngusGT

Jeep Newb
Looking to install a ford 8.8 lsd and lp d30 4.10 gears along with a metalcloak 3.5" lift kit and teraflex sye in a few weeks. was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to make life easier or anything else i should do while im under there. also what kind of differential oil do you use in your jeep?
If you're swapping axles, why not go with a high pinion dana 30 up front?

Tyjedre16

Jeep Owner
If you're swapping axles, why not go with a high pinion dana 30 up front?
have a hpd30 that is going to be a project for me that will get swapped in a little later down the line (needs to be regeared and going to build it while its out) but i also got a lpd30 for almost nothing and figured itll do for now