MC 2.5 or 3.5 Game changer Question

Snowblind

Jeep Owner
Anything else I should be looking to add/change with the GC 3.5 w/ 35s? Going to pull the trigger in the new few days or so.
With a Metalcloak kit, if you plan on sticking with 35's, 2.5 is all you really need! Their kits, in my opinion, give you considerably more lift than advertised. Kits like Rough Country give you more of an advertised lift. Meaning, when MC says 2.5”, you get closer to 3.5”, and when RC says 2.5", you're getting little more than 2.5". This is just my opinion from what I've seen and witnessed personally.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
With a Metalcloak kit, if you plan on sticking with 35's, 2.5 is all you really need! Their kits, in my opinion, give you considerably more lift than advertised. Kits like Rough Country give you more of an advertised lift. Meaning, when MC says 2.5”, you get closer to 3.5”, and when RC says 2.5", you're getting little more than 2.5". This is just my opinion from what I've seen and witnessed personally.

We got 4" out of the 3.5" kit. From what I understand, MC uses a fully loaded rig to get the height from, so you will always get what they advertise. So if you have a heavy rig, you might only get what they say. if you have a light rig, you will get more.

Bad_Company

Jeep Newb
IMHO, you will be keeping the stock flares otherwise you might look pretty high on 35's. What shocks are you going to run?

What is the goal of the build? Wheeling, having fun, or looks? I ask because you can get by with the stock driveshafts if you are careful, but at full flex, or when the jeep is on a lift for service, the driveshaft will hit the exhaust downpipe. Driveshafts were something I changed right away for more longevity and so they do not hit the exhaust.

What are you doing for a spare tire carrier? So many great options these days!
Will be sticking with the stock flares for a bit (Possibly MC's flares down the road). Im thinking of throwing the Falcon 3.3s on there. I'd say 50% DD with a split between crawling and overlanding. I was already looking at adams/tom woods/etc since I'd be installing the lift and had the same concerns. Thinking of the Teraflex carrier, but I'm open to suggestions. I do have the hard rock rear bumper so there are a few more options with that.

Bad_Company

Jeep Newb

That's why its been so hard trying to figure out which lift (2.5/3.5) to get. I know at my current weight I'll have quite a bit of lift, But i'll also be adding armor, roof rack, rear storage (drawers, tools, fridge, etc), and other misc. items. With the 2.5/3.5 GC kit would it be a matter of just swapping springs? I wonder what weight MC's rig is for them to get 3.5".

Snowblind

Jeep Owner
That's why its been so hard trying to figure out which lift (2.5/3.5) to get. I know at my current weight I'll have quite a bit of lift, But i'll also be adding armor, roof rack, rear storage (drawers, tools, fridge, etc), and other misc. items. With the 2.5/3.5 GC kit would it be a matter of just swapping springs? I wonder what weight MC's rig is for them to get 3.5".
With that much weight, it's a coin toss, but I might lean towards the 3.5".

thisdude

Jeep Newb
I just installed the 2.5" Game Changer ARB Long Travel Edition and I actually got 3.5" in the front and around 3" in the rear. This is on a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary so I have steel front and rear bumpers that are similar in weight to your bumpers. I have 35's and I didn't want a huge gap over the tires once I get flat fenders. I also like that the CG slightly lower than it would be with the 3.5" lift. Hope that helps with your decision.
Love that color!

TerryC6

Jeep Newb
I have a very heavy rig, 5800 lbs loaded and that is a 2 door. I still have over 2.5 inches of lift and it will still get heavier. The up side of all that weight is the ride really starts to get plush.

Copasspupil

Jeep Owner
I just stumbleed on this forum tonight and really liked the pics of your lifted jeeps. It has helped me out with how high I plan on doing mine with. Thanks

JeepOnRock

Jeep Newb

This has been my big question, too. Currently running 285/75R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, and I know they would be fine, but the next set will be a 35" tire. I like being low, but also like having a lot of flex. Of course, I have started enjoying a cush ride, too. DSCN3408.jpg

ducatidesmo

Jeep Newb
I went 3.5, putting on a dv8 tire carrier on the rear and I'm also at about 4 inches. hopefully the armor will weigh it down some more. :)

Just curious for those that have done A 3.5 game changer install, IF you were doing an ls swap and suspension lift at the same time, and the body was already off the frame, would you go ahead and swap the suspension or wait till it was back together then do suspension swap? Nervous about getting too many irons in the fire but feel like it would be an easier swap as a rolling chassis.

MTHR

Jeep Newb
I had a 2.5 on my 2012 sport and with 35's it was just about perfect. On my new HardRock I'd go with a 3.5 because of winch and such.

juniormb

Jeep Newb
I went with a 3.5 Game Changer but I am running but I am running 35's right now with 3.5" backspace with intent to move to 37's next year. Already have a lot of armor on the jeep and adding skids next year too so I think I will be weighed down enough.

I am going off rough numbers, but I have the actual numbers wrote down.

On a 4 Door (JKU) the 3.5" Game Changer will net you just over 4 inches without any accessories. With a MC rear bumper and tire carrier and a 35" tire, I am right at 4" in the back. In the front I have a full width MC bumper and Warn Xeon 10K winch with synthetic rope and I and a 1/6th under 4" of lift.

I have 35's on and could have easily went to 37's. There is 8 inches between my tires and my flares when sitting level. That is a lot of room.

If I had it to do over, I would have kept the center of gravity a but lower with the 2.5" springs. I too did not know what to expect. I went bigger because it was only an inch. I should have error-ed on the lower side.
What did you decide on? 2.5 or 3.5? I'm in the same boat right now trying to decide.

I have the MC 2.5 with the Overland fender, steel front bumper, winch and I ended up with 2.6 lift ( have 3k miles on lift) and I run 37's with no rub. I do still have the "JK Rake" not sure if I like that or not.
Does anyone know if I would get the stock or relocated muffler/exhaust setup if I currently have stock, but plan on getting aftermarket muffler/exhaust? I would just get Stock setup, but it says "recommend" on the options for relocated. I was curious why that is.
Also, how does this handle highway/road?
Thanks!
I just installed the 2.5" Game Changer ARB Long Travel Edition and I actually got 3.5" in the front and around 3" in the rear. This is on a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary so I have steel front and rear bumpers that are similar in weight to your bumpers. I have 35's and I didn't want a huge gap over the tires once I get flat fenders. I also like that the CG slightly lower than it would be with the 3.5" lift. Hope that helps with your decision.

View attachment 341

View attachment 342
I went with a 3.5 Game Changer but I am running but I am running 35's right now with 3.5" backspace with intent to move to 37's next year. Already have a lot of armor on the jeep and adding skids next year too so I think I will be weighed down enough.
If in doubt would it be better to go with 3.5 inch lift I want to eventually run 37 with stock fendes MC front bumper and an Ace Hammertime rear bumper?