CJ 8 axle truss

Redhorse309

Jeep Newb
I just joined the forum and trying to figure out how to navigate through this. I have been working on my JEEP Scrambler in winter months now for way too long, 8 Year’s. I can’t believe being retired could be this busy on everything other than what I would like to do. The only good thing about it gives me time to research all the options and decide what I want to do. I’m doing mild not wild on the build.

I’m just about 99% on the body repair and saving for a paint job. I have a nice low mileage gm 5.3 waiting to go in. I have the front axle rebuilt with new gears, 4:11, and an OX air locker. I know that keeping the original axles will be a weak link but that’s the way I’m going for my first build. The AMC 20 is next with Detroit Trutrac LSD and new gears, 4:11’s. I have 33’s and scored a TDK frame on eBay a few years back that the original owner couldn’t find time to use. I used Metalcloak flares on the rear and plan on the same for the front with new fenders too.

I’m putting in a Genright 20 gal tank right now and putting the rebuilt Dana 300 and T176 4 speed on the chassis this week.

I have read a lot of articles about the weak AMC 20 and know the gears are pretty beefy compared to other axles. What I need to know is how I should truss it or not. I have already contacted and talked to a very reputable welding shop. I have solid axles and plan on having the center section welded to the axle tubes. But I’m vacillating on a truss since, I’m going mild. Can anybody give me some tips? The axles are wide track.

I’ll post some pictures soon.