Ball Joints choice

Kraphty

Jeep Newb
Synergy, G2...whats the best choice in ball joints for a jku? Its nothing that can be felt, so im guessing durability is the key.
I had Synergy on my Sport Dana 30, but recently upgraded to Rubicon axles.

Last edited:

tfishmrt

Jeep Newb
I went with the Rare Parts ball joints in my JKUR, had them in for three plus years now, have not needed any adjustments. A little more $, but peace of mind for the added strength.

un4gvn1

Jeep Newb
I went with the G2 joints on my XJ. The last set of Spicers lasted 18 months. :confused:

G2, AlloyUSA and Synergy (and probably a few others) all boast an all-metal construction. Much more durable than the plastic socket in the OE joints. If you are running oversize tires don't bother with OE unless you enjoy changing ball joints (or like having "stance"). lol

gingerempire

Jeep Newb
I have the rare parts on the part's shelf ready to install, but I'm still waiting for my stockers to go bad. 40k miles on stock and still seem to be okay.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I had mine replaced in the spring after 18k miles. I decided to go with the TeraFlex Ball Joints due to the pricing of them and that they can be rebuilt. I was very close to spending the money on the Rare Parts version, but felt like I would be on tons before I needed to replace them again. So far I have zero complaints. I just need to remember to grease them every once and a while.

El Sanchimoto

Jeep Owner
Great timing on this thread. I'm approaching 50k on OEM parts and will be doing suspension and tires in the near future. Knowing that they're wearing out I was thinking of doing my ball joints as well. DynaTrac's just seem the best idea since I probably wouldn't have to do them again unless I broke a lot more too.

El Sanchimoto

Jeep Owner
I had mine replaced in the spring after 18k miles. I decided to go with the TeraFlex Ball Joints due to the pricing of them and that they can be rebuilt. I was very close to spending the money on the Rare Parts version, but felt like I would be on tons before I needed to replace them again. So far I have zero complaints. I just need to remember to grease them every once and a while.
While I was pawing around different forums reading about ball joints I saw that there was an issue where something needed to be ground off to install the uppers. I also saw reference to TeraFlex acknowledging the issue and was going to "fix it" in a new release, what should have been a few years ago. Do you know if this was this the case?

SCREAMER

Jeep Newb
Dynatrac and Teraflex are the best in my opinion. Dynatrac can be rebuilt on the axle and Teraflex can be adjusted for preload and you don’t have to do any grinding with their new design. Synergy has a new design coming out soon but their current design is also very good. Decide your price point and buy from a good company. Almost anything is much better than stock. I’m not a G2 fan for the record.