modernjeeper
MetalCloak 2
    Jeep Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

JKU Long Arm vs Short Arm

I keep going back and forth over short arm vs long arm. Most of the kits out there the long arm and the short arm use the same socks. With using the same shocks you not gaining anymore articulation one vs the other. I'm looking for input from other people out here.

Thanks,

2. Likes olave73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LAK View Post
    I keep going back and forth over short arm vs long arm. Most of the kits out there the long arm and the short arm use the same socks. With using the same shocks you not gaining anymore articulation one vs the other. I'm looking for input from other people out here.

Thanks,
    The long arms are there to keep the axle arc to a minimum. You will have less bind and typically a smoother ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 JKU Hard Rock, No Lift, 37" Goodyear MTR-K, Metal Cloak Full Stinger Bumper, GenRight Fusion Rear Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, Metal Cloak Rock Sliders, Warn Power Plant HD, Viair Constant Duty with Tank, 17" ATX Slabs, Evo Skid Plates, Cheap Chinese Lights, Factor 55 Flat Link, ApolloIntec Switch Pod, 48" Hi-Lift, Dynomax Exhaust, Custom Pin Stripping by Mother Nature

https://www.instagram.com/4lotested/

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pthorpe84 View Post
    The long arms are there to keep the axle arc to a minimum. You will have less bind and typically a smoother ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On a JKU, the arms are already pretty long allowing for good articulation so as Sir Phillip said, it just keeps the axles in more of a vertical motion rather than a radius. You will most likely not get more travel from a long arm kit and some of the limiting factors will be drive shafts and other components.

Long arm kits we're popular on TJs because of the short arms, but the increase complexity and expense of the long arms is not really needed for the JK.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    It also depends on the law where you live... As for myself here in QC/Canada we're not allowed to modifie the frame and we cant weld on it so a long arm kit is out of the question... On short arms kit you dont have to use stock shocks and please.. dont, they are horrible even on a Rubicon like I have ... You can buy shocks with more travel and longer coils. The main diference was explained above.

If you want to keep your same shocks and have a lift kit then you will need shock spacers.. keep your short arms imo.. long arms wont dont much with stock shocks.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yson View Post
    It also depends on the law where you live... As for myself here in QC/Canada we're not allowed to modifie the frame and we cant weld on it so a long arm kit is out of the question... On short arms kit you dont have to use stock shocks and please.. dont, they are horrible even on a Rubicon like I have ... You can buy shocks with more travel and longer coils. The main diference was explained above.

If you want to keep your same shocks and have a lift kit then you will need shock spacers.. keep your short arms imo.. long arms wont dont much with stock shocks.
    Do you have vehicle checks every so often for them to see if it passes inspection?