JKU Long Arm vs Short Arm

LAK

Jeep Newb
I keep going back and forth over short arm vs long arm. Most of the kits out there the long arm and the short arm use the same socks. With using the same shocks you not gaining anymore articulation one vs the other. I'm looking for input from other people out here.

Thanks,

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I keep going back and forth over short arm vs long arm. Most of the kits out there the long arm and the short arm use the same socks. With using the same shocks you not gaining anymore articulation one vs the other. I'm looking for input from other people out here.

Thanks,
The long arms are there to keep the axle arc to a minimum. You will have less bind and typically a smoother ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
The long arms are there to keep the axle arc to a minimum. You will have less bind and typically a smoother ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a JKU, the arms are already pretty long allowing for good articulation so as Sir Phillip said, it just keeps the axles in more of a vertical motion rather than a radius. You will most likely not get more travel from a long arm kit and some of the limiting factors will be drive shafts and other components.

Long arm kits we're popular on TJs because of the short arms, but the increase complexity and expense of the long arms is not really needed for the JK.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yson

Jeep Newb
It also depends on the law where you live... As for myself here in QC/Canada we're not allowed to modifie the frame and we cant weld on it so a long arm kit is out of the question... On short arms kit you dont have to use stock shocks and please.. dont, they are horrible even on a Rubicon like I have ;)... You can buy shocks with more travel and longer coils. The main diference was explained above.

If you want to keep your same shocks and have a lift kit then you will need shock spacers.. keep your short arms imo.. long arms wont dont much with stock shocks.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
It also depends on the law where you live... As for myself here in QC/Canada we're not allowed to modifie the frame and we cant weld on it so a long arm kit is out of the question... On short arms kit you dont have to use stock shocks and please.. dont, they are horrible even on a Rubicon like I have ;)... You can buy shocks with more travel and longer coils. The main diference was explained above.

If you want to keep your same shocks and have a lift kit then you will need shock spacers.. keep your short arms imo.. long arms wont dont much with stock shocks.
Do you have vehicle checks every so often for them to see if it passes inspection?

amer42

Jeep Newb

Thanks,
You will gain more drop from long arm but with that you can lose up travel

Ryno1035

Jeep Newb
Just picked up the last 2 pieces of my synergy 4.5 long arm kit today. I went that direction after a ton of research and it always came down to the long arm being more capable. Also a better ride on road. So I pulled the trigger a couple months ago and finally have all the parts. I also planned on installing it myself being a welder in my previous work (the kit I got is all bolt on but I will run some beads on it). Now I’m waiting on a quote from poly performance on install since they can get it done in half the time in their shop apposed to my driveway. Good luck on your decision and you can always upgrade, it only cost money.

cyberfalco

Jeep Newb
Long arms are awesome, but the install will cost you more time and money. With the length of the JK arms and all the room you have for a larger tire, it's not worth it for me. 37" tires with a modest or no lift is awesome and then you have no need for longer arms.