My TJ wanders

bhppy101

Jeep Newb
Hey all... Just wanted some opinions on where I should start first. Ive got a 2000 TJ with a 4" skyjacker lift... 1.5" body lift... on 35's .. been lifted for 5 or 6 years ... running 2yr old Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks... stock trackbar moved over of course ... upper and lower skyjacker control arms..

Just started to get some wandering at speed...Ive got to correct it all of time both left and right... feels like spaghetti steering!!!! I was getting some steering slap until I just replaced my steering dampener a month ago which is doing a good job masking my problem.

Should I start off with a new Trackbar??

Bhomsley

Jeep Newb
What does it wonder about? Things like how many new electronic things could the JL possibly have? Or Will Trump send us into our next world war?

Just kidding....

Steering damper is just masking the issue. It sounds like the Jeep has been lifted this way for several years without the wondering issues. I would check out all the front end parts before I just started throwing money at it. Check your ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, track bar play, etc. Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you lay under it looking for things that move but shouldn't. If your not comfortable doing this find a local shop that specializes in Jeeps and let them take a look. The 4 Wheel Parts stores around me offer a free 4x4 inspection, maybe the ones around you do as well (and no I don't work for one).

Hope you find the issue.

Last edited:

DevilGuppy

Jeep Owner
I had that in an older lifted YJ. Turns out the steering box was taking a dive. While in park with the engine running, turn your steering wheel lock to lock. While doing that, lean out of your window and see if your wheels turn as soon as you turn the steering wheel. I.E., check for slop . If not, then your box is going. After you've figured it out, let your jeep know so it can stop wondering. :haha