Trail Communications

Todd Ockert

Who is still using a CB radio to communicate on the trail?

Most of our club has made the switch over to VHF/UHF radios.
Most of us bought them from Rugged Radios because they are close to us.

We like the increased communications distance and clarity of the communications from these radios.
I know many people have also made the switch to Ham radios because of the same reasons for the VHF/UHF radios.

We are all working on getting our FCC general license so we are legal to use these radios.

If you have not switch over, why?
I still run the CB radio in the Jeep to talk to those that have not made the switch.

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I still run a CB. Honestly I don’t know one Jeeper in my area that is using a HAM.

I will be frank with ya, I am not sure what the VHF/UHF radios are. Will they communicate with the other CB’s or is it a completely different frequency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd Ockert

The VHF/UHF is a completely different radio and frequency band.

Check out PCI Radios or Rugged Radios.
Both provide hundreds of radio setups for racers.

The average wheeler out here is starting to use these radios for the increased communication range.
Or using a Ham radio.

I have this 50 watt radio in my Jeep that I got from Rugged Radios.
RM-50.JPG

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I guess it’s a good idea to start having multiple radio set ups in your rig. I wish there was a radio that could handle multiple platforms to reduce space.

Either way, I like the look of the Rugged that is pictured. The removable face plate is a nice feature.

Todd Ockert

Rugged takes some of the Chinese models, programs them and rebrands them.
They have great customer support also.

One of the Chinese models on Amazon is a multiband radio that includes CB, HAM and UHF/VHF.
I will see if I can find a link for it later on.

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Rugged takes some of the Chinese models, programs them and rebrands them.
They have great customer support also.

One of the Chinese models on Amazon is a multiband radio that includes CB, HAM and UHF/VHF.
I will see if I can find a link for it later on.

Todd
Awesome. So there is units out there that cover multiple frequencies. Please post the link once you find it. Thanks -Todd

TerryC6

Jeep Newb
The use of multi band radios, ham and CB specifically is against the law. I wish it was different but it is not. Also if you want to participate in any of the Jeep Jamborees you need a CB.

Todd Ockert

The use of multi band radios, ham and CB specifically is against the law. I wish it was different but it is not. Also if you want to participate in any of the Jeep Jamborees you need a CB.
I will agree that the FCC has put these multiband radios on their do not use list.
They are not certified by the FCC.

Just like everyone using a Ham radio is supposed to be licensed.
CB's are also limited to 4 watts, but the truckers skip across the country.
Not saying doing any of that stuff is legal, but the FCC is too busy with other stuff to track down people violating these FCC regulations.

Here is the link to the multiband radio.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06WD6T4QF/ref=psdc_912322_t3_B00I53VUEY

It do have the CB radio range, and could be programmed to operate just like a CB.

Disclaimer
Do at your own risk of violating the FCC regulations.

Todd

Bhomsley

Jeep Newb
I forget what brand my VHF/UHF radio is but it talks with walkie talkies as well. The distance they cover is amazing!