Ask The Expert- Seeking advise on the next phase of my build!!

Mgauger

Jeep Owner
Hi,

Quick back ground, live in Iowa, wanting my build to be semi capable rig and daily driver!! I will be making trips out west and doing what trails we have around here. The rig is a 2013 JKU Sport, bought about 6 months ago, 29k miles, bone stock with 3.21 gears.

Upgrades so far.
MC 2.5 game changer, front and rear bumpers, MT ATZ 35's on 17 inch rims. Getting ready to install frame mounted rocker knickers this weekend!!

Getting ready to replace my axles,,,,,was going to just buy new rubicon axles as I'm pretty sure 4.10 gears are going to be preferred for what I intend to do with this rig, don't plan on going any bigger then 35's and will be on the highway a lot.

What I have decided to get is the Dana Spicer Ultimate 44 with 4.10 and Elocker, and a new stock Rubicon rear, 4.10 and Elocker. My questions are what else should I do to this setup?

1) I plan on getting new drive shafts to install same time, was looking at the Dana Spicer 1310 but looking for opinions there, been trying to get some info on the Metalcloak drive shafts but not getting anywhere with that. Was wondering who makes them for MC, are they a good option?

2) I keep reading about the C's and how u should add gussets and a truss/axle tubes to the stock Rubicon, I won't be doing a truss but was wondering if I should gusset the C's? I read that it's the same C as on the stock Rubi axle, then I asked that question on a couple websites like 4wd, and they are saying that the C are not the same, that the Ultimate 44 has a beefier C's. So,,,,,gusset or not? The pics I've seen sure don't seem to be any beefier but I'm just not sure.

3) I know this ultimate 44 has a track bar bracket with 2 mounting points, upper for a lift, and that I'll have to get a new steering stabilizer, one with a shaft end to mount in the axle as opposed to the loop end, so any suggestions there?

And finally anything I may be missing that I should do at the time on install? If I'm goi g to have it tore apart I'd like to do what I can while I'm doing this!!

I apologize for such a long post and hope these aren't stupid questions, I tend to over think things a lot.

Thanks

Mike

TerryC6

Jeep Newb
Stock 4.10's with e=locker will be your cheapest choice, gussets are always a good idea, even stock. But I am going t through this out there, 4.10's and 35's suck IMO. I spent a year like that driving all over the country including Iowa and was not happy. I swapped to 4.88 and could not be more happy. and if you're worried about mpg don't be. Average mpg with 4.10's, 15.4. With 4.88's, 15.3. I would opt for at least 4.56.

Mgauger

Jeep Owner
Thanks TerryC6,,,, I appreciate the reply!! Figured I must have posted something stupid as no one responded!! I have been doing research myself and ended up ordering all my parts today!! :) I did toss around 4.56 and 4.88 and ended up going with 4.56.
Got a pretty good deal by accident, and ended up with a tera44 HD with 4.56. I read a lot of pist that said 4.10 wasn't enough.
Anyway,,,,thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
Hi,

Quick back ground, live in Iowa, wanting my build to be semi capable rig and daily driver!! I will be making trips out west and doing what trails we have around here. The rig is a 2013 JKU Sport, bought about 6 months ago, 29k miles, bone stock with 3.21 gears.

Upgrades so far.
MC 2.5 game changer, front and rear bumpers, MT ATZ 35's on 17 inch rims. Getting ready to install frame mounted rocker knickers this weekend!!

Getting ready to replace my axles,,,,,was going to just buy new rubicon axles as I'm pretty sure 4.10 gears are going to be preferred for what I intend to do with this rig, don't plan on going any bigger then 35's and will be on the highway a lot.

What I have decided to get is the Dana Spicer Ultimate 44 with 4.10 and Elocker, and a new stock Rubicon rear, 4.10 and Elocker. My questions are what else should I do to this setup?

1) I plan on getting new drive shafts to install same time, was looking at the Dana Spicer 1310 but looking for opinions there, been trying to get some info on the Metalcloak drive shafts but not getting anywhere with that. Was wondering who makes them for MC, are they a good option?

The Metalcloak drivelines are a 1310 series US made driveline. They are made locally to our specs and the correct lengths for the kits. I personal have used the shop that does them for a long time with no issues.

2) I keep reading about the C's and how u should add gussets and a truss/axle tubes to the stock Rubicon, I won't be doing a truss but was wondering if I should gusset the C's? I read that it's the same C as on the stock Rubi axle, then I asked that question on a couple websites like 4wd, and they are saying that the C are not the same, that the Ultimate 44 has a beefier C's. So,,,,,gusset or not? The pics I've seen sure don't seem to be any beefier but I'm just not sure.

The Mopar ultimate was supposed to fix a lot of the issues with the factory housing and should not need to be reinforced.

3) I know this ultimate 44 has a track bar bracket with 2 mounting points, upper for a lift, and that I'll have to get a new steering stabilizer, one with a shaft end to mount in the axle as opposed to the loop end, so any suggestions there?

You will use the lower track bar mount to keep your track bar in line with the drag link. The upper hole is for running a flip kit.For the stabilizer you might need to do a little homework. I don't know why they changed the mounting.

And finally anything I may be missing that I should do at the time on install? If I'm going to have it tore apart I'd like to do what I can while I'm doing this!!

I apologize for such a long post and hope these aren't stupid questions, I tend to over think things a lot.

Thanks

Mike
Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
Thanks TerryC6,,,, I appreciate the reply!! Figured I must have posted something stupid as no one responded!! I have been doing research myself and ended up ordering all my parts today!! :) I did toss around 4.56 and 4.88 and ended up going with 4.56.
Got a pretty good deal by accident, and ended up with a tera44 HD with 4.56. I read a lot of pist that said 4.10 wasn't enough.
Anyway,,,,thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Read right over this Good deal on going 4.56 and the tera housing. In the long run you will be a lot happier and it sounds like you got a good deal on it.

Mgauger

Jeep Owner
Read right over this Good deal on going 4.56 and the tera housing. In the long run you will be a lot happier and it sounds like you got a good deal on it.
Yes, got a real good deal, also upgraded to .5 inch tube thickness. Glad I went this direction as well,,,,got everything from Marcus at RiverCityoffroad. Was great to deal with.

Thanks again for the reply!!