Ask The Expert- What's this winch?

JeffRow

Jeep Newb
Hey everyone, I am new here, and I am new in off-road. This was the first summer when I went off-road with my friends, and I guess that's something I really like. Now, I've got a 2008 JK, and this winter I plan customizing it. As a Xmas present for myself I plan buying a new winch, as a cheap chinese one that I bought off e-bay died during the first trip. And now I guess I want something better. Can someone tell me what's the brand name for this winch?
cool jk winch.JPG
Here's this guy.
Or if it's of no good, which I doubt.... but still, if it's of no good, maybe you'll tell me what to buy then.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Todd Ockert

The winch in the picture above is a Warn winch.
One of the best on the market.
The only winch that I have ran on my Jeep, and most of us trust them when the chips are down.

You will pay more for a Warn that probably any other brand.
Some people attribute a higher price point with a better quality winch.
In this case, I would agree.

Do some research, as there are a few good brands that will not let you down when the winch is really needed.

Todd

JeffRow

Jeep Newb
Thanks, for saying the exact model, of that winch, folks! I guess I am ready to pay extra to get something that will last and that won't screw up everything haha
I was watching a couple of reviews in youtube, ane several people said, that Warn is the right winch for the Jeeps.
Cheers!

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Thanks, for saying the exact model, of that winch, folks! I guess I am ready to pay extra to get something that will last and that won't screw up everything haha
I was watching a couple of reviews in youtube, ane several people said, that Warn is the right winch for the Jeeps.
Cheers!
It is an awesome winch with a wireless remote and places to plug lights and other items into the winch. everything, including turning lights on can be done from the wireless remote. You could take a few steps down and still get a great winch from warn. that is the top of the line model!

Todd Ockert

I have the very same Warn Zeon 10s on my Jeep.
Love it and the reliability I have gotten from it.

The only problem I have with the winch, is their new line attachment system on the drum.
It is rated for the full pull weight of the winch supposedly, which is a good thing compared to the old bolt mounting system.

It is just a pain to get the rope through the slot in the drum.

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for!

Want quality, pay for quality.

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
It is an awesome winch with a wireless remote and places to plug lights and other items into the winch. everything, including turning lights on can be done from the wireless remote. You could take a few steps down and still get a great winch from warn. that is the top of the line model!
I didn’t know about the light option. Is that only on the platinum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jd45acp

Jeep Newb
I have to throw out another option... Super Winch Tiger Shark is also a great winch at a great price. Warn is good and all, but expensive... I have the Super Winch, it works great and was a lot less expensive. Just my $.02 worth...

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
I didn’t know about the light option. Is that only on the platinum?

Yes, only on the Zeon Platinum with the wireless remote.

I have to throw out another option... Super Winch Tiger Shark is also a great winch at a great price. Warn is good and all, but expensive... I have the Super Winch, it works great and was a lot less expensive. Just my $.02 worth...
Lots of the less expensive models work well! The largest difference will be build quality, how they sound, how close they come to the ratings and longevity.

Todd Ockert

Another one to throw out there as a pretty good winch is Mile Marker.
Cheaper than a Warn and a high quality from what I have seen of them.

Todd

Bhomsley

Jeep Newb
I ran the Zeon 8s on my 2 door and it worked great. I am going to move it to my TJ soon. If you have a 4 door I would recommend the 10s, if not an 8k winch is fine in my opinion. I added the plug in warn wireless controller, it is nice to have!

BadSector

Jeep Newb
Not a fan of the warn zeons, I feel like the 9500 CTI is a better choice for the same cash.

I'd stay clear of the VR series, and save up for a higher end warn.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Not a fan of the warn zeons, I feel like the 9500 CTI is a better choice for the same cash.

I'd stay clear of the VR series, and save up for a higher end warn.
What did you not like about the zeons? I am looking at getting one is why I ask.

BadSector

Jeep Newb
What did you not like about the zeons? I am looking at getting one is why I ask.

There is nothing wrong with the Zeons, but simply comparing Warn 9.5 CTI to Zeon 10:

- I like the construction and looks of the 9.5 CTI winches better on the jeep (sleek powdercoat and all metal).
- I like the fact that the solenoid/contactor is built really cleanly into the winch.
- I like the fact that 9.5 CTI has a thermal sensor built into it and an thermal indicator light on the remote.
- The 9.5 CTI has a faster line speed especially under no load freespool/retreival. Under no load it is 14 feet a minute faster...
- The 9.5 CTI boasts about the same power efficiency yet is much stronger per layer (over 1,300 lbs+ stronger on some of the layers).
- The 9.5 CTI is an offset design and fits into more bumpers as it isn't nearly as wide or deep.
- The 9.5 CTI has 125' of cable vs zeons 80' (45 feet more).
- The 9.5 CTI is lighter.

The 9.5 CTI is in Warns ultimate performance lineup, the zeon is not.

I really like that 125 feet of cable on the CTI drum more then the 80 feet of cable on the zeon. The extra 45 feet of cable on the 9.5 CTI brings a huge advantage with rigging itself. When you consider using double or triple line pulls, far away anchor points, reverse winching (pulling the vehicle backwards with a front mounted winch), or having to cut a length of cable off to make a field repair, the total length of cable that you have available to you is very important in certain situations.

Look at and compare the pull by layer strength...

https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/95cti_winch.jsp

https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_10.jsp

Edit:

https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_12.jsp

Actually looking at this the Warn 9.5 CTI "9,500 lb" is more compareable in strength to the Zeon "12,000 lb" winch until the last 2 layers and still has a faster line speed and is lighter.

Last edited: