Fridge install in a JK

JK_BUB

Jeep Owner
Hello all,
I am interested in installing a fridge in the back of my JKU and was hoping to get some feedback from those that already have. Any lessons learned during the install? What fridge and what slide (if any) did you use? I am also thinking about making an aluminum shelf above it so that I can put the rest of my camping gear on top of it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JK_BUB

Jeep Owner
Admin, can you please move this to the JK discussion forum? I misread the title when I posted.

AnvilX

Jeep Owner
Jk_bub I am want to do the same on my jeep. From research I have done so far most people put in the arb 50 quart on a slider. I think because it is the best fit. Then they built shelves with drawers, a cutting board and stove storage. For me it is just soo expensive for the fridge. I am interested it what others say.

JK_BUB

Jeep Owner
How long do items need to stay cold? How about a 12-volt cooler?
I tried the 12v cooler, but by the 3rd day it wasn’t staying cold enough. We do 4 days on the Rubicon trail every year and would like something that could stay cold through that.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I tried the 12v cooler, but by the 3rd day it wasn’t staying cold enough. We do 4 days on the Rubicon trail every year and would like something that could stay cold through that.

Get a Yeti. If you precool your cooler it will hold ice for 5 days, even in the desert heat. If you use the divider and utilize dry ice, you can get much longer than that.

JK_BUB

Jeep Owner
Get a Yeti. If you precool your cooler it will hold ice for 5 days, even in the desert heat. If you use the divider and utilize dry ice, you can get much longer than that.

I have considered that, but I think I would rather just not have to worry about ice. Besides, the price of a Yeti isn’t too far below the Dometic 40qt fridge on Amazon.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I have considered that, but I think I would rather just not have to worry about ice. Besides, the price of a Yeti isn’t too far below the Dometic 40qt fridge on Amazon.

Never heard of Domtic. Not sure I could spend that money on one without getting an ARB version. But I’m also the same idiot that has way too many Yeti’s.

mr02cubed

Jeep Newb
I did a Jeep Jamboree in PA last year and was behind some guys from Black Bear. Stuff was a little pricey but he had a nice set up with the arb fridge on one side and took box on other. Both on top of a slider. Was pretty sweet

Jeep-Geek

Jeep Newb
I bought an ARB on a good sale last fall. Money well spent. The first time you pull out popsicles and ice cream for everyone 50 miles from the pavement, you'll be an offroad king. I have not figured out what I'm doing for a slider just yet, but the ARB fridge was money well spent.

Ice coolers, even Yetis, and those 12v thermo electric ones are not even i nthe same league as the ARB.

Also, I looked into the Dometic ones, but found the ARB on sale, so I didn't risk it.

Twitch

Jeep Newb

I have found the Rtic line to also work, less expensive than a Yeti. I like the dry ice idea, will try that this weekend!

JeepOnRock

Jeep Newb
I bought an ARB on a good sale last fall. Money well spent. The first time you pull out popsicles and ice cream for everyone 50 miles from the pavement, you'll be an offroad king. I have not figured out what I'm doing for a slider just yet, but the ARB fridge was money well spent.

Ice coolers, even Yetis, and those 12v thermo electric ones are not even i nthe same league as the ARB.

Also, I looked into the Dometic ones, but found the ARB on sale, so I didn't risk it.
We were in Moab a few years ago a friend with an ARB freezer in his yellow D90 (known as the Ice Cream Man to many) gave out popsicles and ice cream sandwiches to some mountain bikers in the outback of Arches NP. He became their hero (it was closing in on 100* that day...). He loads it with all sorts of ice cream when he drops it at the dealer and they take REAL good care of him. And he is an all around popular guy...

Sarge368

Jeep Newb
We bought the ARB 50 quart and love it. We looked at other options but after attending an overlanding show we talked to 4 owners who all said the fridge was their number one buy and never regretted it. I installed a dedicated power outlet directly below the existing outlet in the back. It works great, keeps everything cold and doesn’t drain the battery. We don’t have a slider yet but hope to do one in the future.

Attachments

El Sanchimoto

Jeep Owner
I don't have a fridge currently but since I have a 550lbs carry weight rack on top of my JKUR to carry all the camping gear I have room on the inside to strap down my Yeti tundra 65 in my trunk. Dry ice or cooler shock can keep it ice cold for days with hardly any moisture.

Last edited:

JeepOnRock

Jeep Newb
Another consideration between cooler and fridge/freezer is that the cooler needs space for ice. So, if both are "50 quart", the cooler has much less usable space for food.

Sarge368

Jeep Newb
Another consideration between cooler and fridge/freezer is that the cooler needs space for ice. So, if both are "50 quart", the cooler has much less usable space for food.
Agreed and additionally you have to replenish the ice and throw away all the food that got waterlogged.

rubicon4wheeler

Jeep Newb
FWIW I've been using an inexpensive Edgestar freezer/fridge for several years, and when it's not bumping around in the back of my Jeep it's in my garage serving as a beer fridge. I have a dedicated auxiliary battery in my Jeep that'll power it for 3-4 days before its low voltage cutoff at 11.5v occurs. I definitely recommend a freezer/fridge over even the fancy coolers.

I have an ARB 50qt and a Tembo Tusk Fridge Slide. I opted to mount the slide on the Tembo Tusk docking stations incase I want or need a flat storage area again in the Jeep. Biggest suggestion I would give is to go on Amazon and buy a Nutsert tool like this: https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1442-Setter/dp/B003TODXQW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544833051&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=nutsert+tool+kit&psc=1 made the install a ton easier!

I installed the slide as close as possible to the JK Tailgate latch hook so I could maximize space. Needed to drill holes through the left-side plastic trim and then remove the trim and drill into the sheet metal. On the interior side I needed to level out the slide / docking station with washers. Worked out well. I have the JKU built prior to the floor sub-woofer so I decided to cut the factory false floor to be able to get to the storage cubby.

Attachments