Holiday Message

Todd Ockert

Hey Modern Jeepers

As my wife and I get ready to head out to a family function in a little bit to celebrate an early Christmas with the family, it made me think of the things I am thankful for this year.

As always, I am thankful for a wonderful wife and family support structure that is supporting a job move to Texas. It is with the same company I currently work for.
I have always taken it for granted that I would have public lands to recreate and go wheeling on like we do here in California.
I am now getting reminded that not everyone has that benefit in their area.
Our new area in Texas has private parks that you have to pay to enter, and sometimes even have to be a member of a specific group.
Most of the parks are closed during the week. It was nice to have a day off in the middle of the week here in Cali and run to the forest and play on a trail or two.
As a veteran, I am thankful for the freedoms afforded me by previous veterans and current veterans who are serving our great nation.
Times are different today with the instant news, and we can hear of something that is happening on the other coast in almost real time.
Our recreation issues are or have become that way also.
When I was wheeling with my dad as a kid, I never thought we would hear of issues in other parts of the country in such a real-time basis.
Those issues could be everything from a school shooting to a trail closure.
Just the other day, I heard that President Trump is going to down size the Bears Ears National Monument, along with one of the other ones from the Obama administration.
How great is that? And we are hearing of it happening prior to it actually happening.
Sharetrails/BRC has sent letters in support of this downsizing and in support of the local groups who opposed the monuments size.
Years past, we would not have heard of it happening until it has actually happened. Today in our real-time environment, we hear of things sometimes before they actually happen.
Sharetrails/BRC has a great team that go way above and beyond on a daily basis.
As the President, I wish we could pay them more for all the hard work they do every day of every week.
I am thankful for all of the friends I have across the country from my Navy days and my recreation endeavors.
Remember those around us this year who might not be as well off as us.
Thankful for what we have around us.

Thanks everyone for reading my thanks.

Todd

Last edited:

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I can't believe that 2017 is already coming to an end. This has been a year filled with good times with friends and sadness over the ones that I lost. In both cases I am thankful they have been in my life. I got to watch my daughter graduate high school and it made me as proud as I can ever remember being. I made some great friends on the trails and on this very forum. I watched a little boys family in tears, because the Off-Road community raised over $100k to help pay for his medical bills(Crawling for Reid). I was thankful to be there for that and be a contributor. I shared some amazing hunts with my Dad and thankful for everyday that I have with him. I am thankful for my Mom taking care of Dad when I am not around. Mostly, I am thankful for my wife for putting up with my rotten ass. The patients and love she has is not comparable to anything else in this world. Happy holidays to all and to all....have another bourbon!:D