modernjeeper
Raceline
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Jeep Newb
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    285/70r 17 on factory wheels with MC 2.5 lift?

    I have a 2015 unlimited with a 2.5 inch metal cloak lift. I have factory wheels and tires but want a bigger tire. The upper end of the sway bar link is very close to the tire at full turn. Just wondering if anyone had run this size with factory wheels (maybe the taller tire puts the link lower on the tire and there is more clearance). Also wondering if I could just run a shorter sway bar link to lower the bar slightly? I know new wheels would solve the problem, and I have looked at 255 80 r 17. Just can't buy wheels and tires now and the common 285 size tires are cheaper. Thanks for any suggestions.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
    $5000 Giveaway
     

  3. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get some wheel spacers and it will allow for larger tires. They are inexpensive. Look here-> http://amzn.to/2AkQKQT

  4. #3
    Moderator Pthorpe84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aweston View Post
    I have a 2015 unlimited with a 2.5 inch metal cloak lift. I have factory wheels and tires but want a bigger tire. The upper end of the sway bar link is very close to the tire at full turn. Just wondering if anyone had run this size with factory wheels (maybe the taller tire puts the link lower on the tire and there is more clearance). Also wondering if I could just run a shorter sway bar link to lower the bar slightly? I know new wheels would solve the problem, and I have looked at 255 80 r 17. Just can't buy wheels and tires now and the common 285 size tires are cheaper. Thanks for any suggestions.
    I agree with Brian. Wheel spacers will solve your problem. 1 spacers will be more than sufficient and give your Jeep a much nicer stance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 JKU Hard Rock, No Lift, 37" Goodyear MTR-K, Metal Cloak Full Stinger Bumper, GenRight Fusion Rear Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, Metal Cloak Rock Sliders, Warn Power Plant HD, Viair Constant Duty with Tank, 17" ATX Slabs, Evo Skid Plates, Cheap Chinese Lights, Factor 55 Flat Link, ApolloIntec Switch Pod, 48" Hi-Lift, Dynomax Exhaust, Custom Pin Stripping by Mother Nature



    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdm...KJCqTcWSZHSGug

    https://www.instagram.com/4lotested/

  5. Likes JKpoor liked this post
  6. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pthorpe84 View Post
    I agree with Brian. Wheel spacers will solve your problem. 1” spacers will be more than sufficient and give your Jeep a much nicer stance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1" might cause him to have to replace the studs to use that spacer. I linked in a 1.5" to ensure he could use his factory studs and make it a simple bolt on.

  7. #5
    Jeep Newb
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question on spacers, a local off road shop told me that the lugs could sheer through the aluminum spacer under heavy load? Anyone ever heard of this happening?

  8. #6
    Moderator Pthorpe84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JKpoor View Post
    Quick question on spacers, a local off road shop told me that the lugs could sheer through the aluminum spacer under heavy load? Anyone ever heard of this happening?
    Im sure that is possible, however I have seen many guys run these for years with no problems. Much like anything else, you need to routinely check your equipment.

    The only time I know these to be a problem is when you run 1.5+ spacers with 3.5 backspace wheels....lots of stuff breaks then.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 JKU Hard Rock, No Lift, 37" Goodyear MTR-K, Metal Cloak Full Stinger Bumper, GenRight Fusion Rear Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, Metal Cloak Rock Sliders, Warn Power Plant HD, Viair Constant Duty with Tank, 17" ATX Slabs, Evo Skid Plates, Cheap Chinese Lights, Factor 55 Flat Link, ApolloIntec Switch Pod, 48" Hi-Lift, Dynomax Exhaust, Custom Pin Stripping by Mother Nature



    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdm...KJCqTcWSZHSGug

    https://www.instagram.com/4lotested/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •