285/70r 17 on factory wheels with MC 2.5 lift?

aweston

Jeep Newb
I have a 2015 unlimited with a 2.5 inch metal cloak lift. I have factory wheels and tires but want a bigger tire. The upper end of the sway bar link is very close to the tire at full turn. Just wondering if anyone had run this size with factory wheels (maybe the taller tire puts the link lower on the tire and there is more clearance). Also wondering if I could just run a shorter sway bar link to lower the bar slightly? I know new wheels would solve the problem, and I have looked at 255 80 r 17. Just can't buy wheels and tires now and the common 285 size tires are cheaper. Thanks for any suggestions.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I have a 2015 unlimited with a 2.5 inch metal cloak lift. I have factory wheels and tires but want a bigger tire. The upper end of the sway bar link is very close to the tire at full turn. Just wondering if anyone had run this size with factory wheels (maybe the taller tire puts the link lower on the tire and there is more clearance). Also wondering if I could just run a shorter sway bar link to lower the bar slightly? I know new wheels would solve the problem, and I have looked at 255 80 r 17. Just can't buy wheels and tires now and the common 285 size tires are cheaper. Thanks for any suggestions.
I agree with Brian. Wheel spacers will solve your problem. 1” spacers will be more than sufficient and give your Jeep a much nicer stance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
I agree with Brian. Wheel spacers will solve your problem. 1” spacers will be more than sufficient and give your Jeep a much nicer stance.

1" might cause him to have to replace the studs to use that spacer. I linked in a 1.5" to ensure he could use his factory studs and make it a simple bolt on.

JKpoor

Jeep Newb
Quick question on spacers, a local off road shop told me that the lugs could sheer through the aluminum spacer under heavy load? Anyone ever heard of this happening?

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Quick question on spacers, a local off road shop told me that the lugs could sheer through the aluminum spacer under heavy load? Anyone ever heard of this happening?
I’m sure that is possible, however I have seen many guys run these for years with no problems. Much like anything else, you need to routinely check your equipment.

The only time I know these to be a problem is when you run 1.5”+ spacers with 3.5” backspace wheels....lots of stuff breaks then.

The biggest thing people do wrong with spacers is over torque them. Just torque everything to spec and add a bit of red loctite and you shouldn't have any problems. I ran them for about a year with 35s and 37s