Dozer 2012 JK build plan

Auburndozer

Jeep Owner
Starting off the build of my Jeep.

In August, I picked up a 2012 JK Sport 2 door in Dozer. It had never been offroad, garage kept, and 32K miles. Mostly stock with stick shift, Dana 30/44 with 3.73 gears, K&N intake, and Banks muffler. It's my quasi daily driver for errands and airport runs when I travel for work. I'm in Alabama, so riding is national forests, private offroad parks, and friends' hunting/timber land. Looking at weekend trips to Jeep Jamborees in the Southeast & KY next year. It's been great on the forest trails so far, but need more clearance and recovery gear for confidence. Goal is capable offroad for overland & trails not a rock crawler. Also minimize additional weight and family vehicle for fun/errands. My last Jeep was an XJ that I sold in 2002.

So far, I've installed an Auburn shift knob and spiderwebshade. Both of those are awesome. The shift knob is a great security feature, since no one else can figure out where reverse is.

Need to install the rear facing baby seat this weekend, and practice getting my big arse in the back seat while carrying a baby. Tailgates and the little guy limits trail time right now, but he should be able to come along next spring/summer when he starts talking.

Here's the plan right now:

Phase 1 - December: ordered the Metalcloak 3.5 lift with 6-paks and Rocksport steering stabilizer through the Veteran's Day sale. Planning on Cooper STT Pro LT305/70R18 (35") on the black Sahara 18" wheels with a spacer. Installing via HitList Offroad. Great group and supporting fellow vets.

In conjunction with Phase 1 (checking prices and waiting for a sale, probably cyber Monday):
  • Rugged Ridge 3d brake light ring & cut-off the 3d brake light
  • Teraflex extended spare tire bracket for larger spare tire
  • Rugged ridge hood latches (or another brand if better quality)
  • ACE inner fenders with the extra piece
  • Black out the wheels per wife's request: black lug nuts and rattle can the Jeep logo on center hub
  • Grab handles front & back. Prefer dozer color
  • High lift jack & hood mount
  • Tree saver, shackles and other recovery gear.
  • Whip antenna with good reception

Phase 2 (spring/summer depending on how much offroad time)
  • Rock Hard rock rails
  • Bumper - Metalcloak or Rock Hard aluminum --- weight is main consideration. Wish the Metalcloak bumper systems were available in aluminum. I like their ability to swap out parts vs whole bumper to change features/looks
  • Winch - Warn Zeon Platinum 10s or VR-10s
  • Skids - Rock Hard aluminum system to save weight
  • Rear bumper - I use the stock tow hitch a fair amount, so need to investigate hitch/plugs and tire carrier options
  • Upgrade the speakers for better tunes with top down

Phase 3 (TBD):
  • Axles - used Rubicon 44 or maybe Spicer ultimate
  • Lockers
  • Big brakes
  • Onboard air
  • Metalcloak overland fenders and 37s+

Pics below and feedback always welcomed. Will update as the build progresses.

WDE!

Jeep.jpg
Jeep riding - no license plate.jpg
Jeep shift knob.jpg

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Starting off the build of my Jeep. ]
If I were you I would move the air compressor up on your list. You will want that far before many other things. Very handy tool.

Also, I would go ahead and relocate your evap canister before you crush it....I didn’t do it and now I have to look at lights on my dash now. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auburndozer

Jeep Owner
Thanks for the tip. Encouraged me to pick up an MC evap bracket during Black Friday sale. Now I just need to find time to install some stuff

LAK

Jeep Newb
For on board are I used the Moore dual battery tray and placed it next to the battery. Worked out great.

Auburndozer

Jeep Owner
Thanks for all the inputs. Lift and tire installs are tracking towards January. Got most of the add-one and MC evap relo (nice tip) for Black Friday. Will update after my crazy holiday schedule. I’m leaning towards ARB dual compressor. Need to figure out SPOD and lighting too. Also a CB since we’re looking at a Jeep Jamboree in May.

Auburndozer

Jeep Owner
Sorry for late updates. Here’s what I did

Phase 1 - Feb 2018
3.5 MetalCloak GC with 6paks
Cooper Stt Pro 35x18 on stock with spacer
ACE inner fenders
Grabars

Phase 2 - May 2018
MC overland aluminum fenders and flip step
MC front bumper
Warn Zeon 10s
Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink.
Motobilt crusher rear bumper
MC undercloak
Rigid 10” bumper combo and spot/flood front rear
Lux rock lights
EBC slotted rotors and pads
SPOD 8 switch
Powertank 10lb. Still working mounting in 2 door
MC inners to replace ACE due to the fender brackets.
Changed all the fluids

Now I need to ride more and think about gears, lockers, axles, rear tire carrier, relocate license plate and ride more.

War Eagle!

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Man that looks nice. I really like your rear bumper. Do you plan to go up on tire size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I’m wanting to get rid of my 50” light bar. How do you like the 10” bar at that location? How bright is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jegar

Jeep Owner
How do you like the Cooper STT Pros? My current tires (35" BFG KM2's) that I have really liked -- but I don't know anything else -- look like a dog has been chewing on them for awhile and shared with a lion for a few of the chews. I also am very curious about the new BFG KM2's that just came out -- specs sound great, but have heard nothing about their real time use.

Auburndozer

Jeep Owner
The STT Pros have been awesome. Phenomenal grip and minimal road noise. I recommend highly, but don’t have personaI experience with other options. I need to find new wheels with right backspacing and weight though. Or redo the plastidip on the Sahara wheels I have.

Jegar

Jeep Owner
The STT Pros have been awesome. Phenomenal grip and minimal road noise. I recommend highly, but don’t have personaI experience with other options. I need to find new wheels with right backspacing and weight though. Or redo the plastidip on the Sahara wheels I have.
Ha! You should see my Willys wheels!! I cried for 6 weeks when I got my first rock rash -- now I proudly sport a pin-wheel look: shiny black, alternated with scraped aluminum:)

Pthorpe84

Staff member
You boys should lighten up. Rockrash on a Jeep looks way better than a Kardashian in swim suite. Something to take pride in.....unless you got it trying to parallel park....then you need invest in some curb kissers and sell the rig[emoji16]