Helpful State Law Lift Guide

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Interesting. The piece on bumpers for TN is intriguing. Wonder if Evo rear Bumper fascia is legal. I don’t think anyone would get pulled over for it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSinGA

Jeep Fanatic
Interesting. The piece on bumpers for TN is intriguing. Wonder if Evo rear Bumper fascia is legal. I don’t think anyone would get pulled over for it though.

It’s pretty much anything goes in AL.

Other_Erik

Jeep Owner
Hmmm they do miss something about Virginia laws at least. Fender flares must be wide enough to cover the entire tire. There is a requirement for sidemarker lights on any vehicle with accessories that extend outward beyond the body, so those fender flares have to have a light on them as well... They do say that 10 counties and municipalities have emissions testing - those 10 cover about 94% of the population of VA.

O_E

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Hmmm they do miss something about Virginia laws at least. Fender flares must be wide enough to cover the entire tire. There is a requirement for sidemarker lights on any vehicle with accessories that extend outward beyond the body, so those fender flares have to have a light on them as well... They do say that 10 counties and municipalities have emissions testing - those 10 cover about 94% of the population of VA.

O_E
So I take it 15.50 width tire sales do well then lol. What an absolute pain. I really don’t understand why flare width and side markers are so important. Trucks don’t have this and there tires will stick out 6” outside the body.

Other_Erik

Jeep Owner
So I take it 15.50 width tire sales do well then lol. What an absolute pain. I really don’t understand why flare width and side markers are so important. Trucks don’t have this and there tires will stick out 6” outside the body.
Yea don't see much in the way of extra-wide tires here. 12.5" and 13.5" maybe, but not so much any wider than that on the pavement. Trucks are a completely different class here, and the stringent requirement is probably why not too many are registered in the state. Most businesses around here register either in North Carolina (where they only get taxed at purchase time), or in Maryland (where there's only ever one safety inspection).

O_E

Azomike

Jeep Newb
Just ran across this site... do your own due diligence in verifying the accuracy of the site, but it is a handy tool to learn what your state allows or does not allow for your vehicle...

http://www.liftlaws.com/index.htm

View attachment 811
I built my Jeep to be within the legal limits of my state. What happens if I drive into a neighboring state that is more restrictive? Has anyone had issues with this? Am I still legal in that state if it’s legal in the state it is registered?

SilverLJ

Jeep Newb
I built my Jeep to be within the legal limits of my state. What happens if I drive into a neighboring state that is more restrictive? Has anyone had issues with this? Am I still legal in that state if it’s legal in the state it is registered?
My understanding is that you are subject to local law, at the officers desecration of course. Be cool, and cross your fingers!